Toshiba Satellite 2505CDS not powering on?

FantasyAcquiesce

I have a few old laptops from my grandparent's attic and began testing another. This one simpily won't turn on, but the laptop will show if its charging. I've discovered the battery was bad when I plugged the charger inside. After removing the battery, it still refuses to turn on. The laptop still has its original hard drive and so.

Do you think it will be possible for me to fix this? I need to know which factors could cause a laptop not to turn on, it was pretty dirty when I found then cleaned it. The laptop is from the year 1999 I believe.

It may depend on several things.

Some "power adapters" are actually "battery chargers" (i.e. they provide enough current to recharge the battery but not enough to actually start the laptop without a battery or with a battery at 0 level) or as well over the years some capacitors inside it may well become defective and provide not enough voltage or current.

You will need a multimeter to test the power adapter or see if you can get one of those el-cheapo replacement with adjustable voltage and several connectors to test the laptop with it.

But - as another example - a number of laptops have a micro-switch that is pressed when you close the lid/display (and that is released when you open it), depending on the model this microswitch may simply switch off the video or put the device to "sleep/hybernate", it is rather common that this switch gets stuck if the laptop is "dirty" and remains closed for years (or the contacts are oxidized - it depends on how it is made), and more or less the same can happen to *anything* else, including the main switch and connectors on the motherboard.

jaclaz