Windows 98SE Fresh install....

jim2029

So what would people recommend installing to get the most usefulness with Windows 98SE now days? I have an old Toughbook CF-29 I'm thinking about trying to get back up and running. It has WIndows XP but it is just too slow to use.

I'd start with the unofficial 98SE Service Pack 3.nn (whatever version he's up to) and KernelEx 4.5.2; both are in the Windows 9x Member Projects subforum. They'll let you use newer software and hardware than you could otherwise.

If your laptop has more than 1 GB of RAM, you'll need to do some extra work to install Win98; see this thread for more info.

Edit: Just in case, I should mention that some folks have run into incompatibilities between the 98SE Service Pack 3 and KernelEx. I haven't had any trouble yet, but I only installed the "main" Service Pack 3 updates.

If you do run into problems, you can install KernelEx to default to "disabled" and only enable it for the software that needs it, such as Opera 10.x, 11.x, or 12.00-12.02. (Opera versions newer than 12.02 won't work on 98SE even with KernelEx.)

Edited by Mathwiz

So what would people recommend installing to get the most usefulness with Windows 98SE now days? I have an old Toughbook CF-29 I'm thinking about trying to get back up and running. It has WIndows XP but it is just too slow to use.

i don't know about the toughbook cf-29 but i had some difficulties getting the intel extreme graphics 2 driver that the toughbook cf-29 also uses to work on windows 98SE on other laptops. either the driver would not work properly despite downloading a windows 98 version, where you would need to find another very specific windows 9x driver or it would work but freeze intermittently on playing videos or any flash related stuff and also dxdiag would indicate it using like no video memory, i think i remember it was only like 9 MB or something ridiculously low, but that could just have to do with using newer unsupported dell dimension desktops with picky bios's on windows 98 which would be a no no, maybe if it was like a asrock 865g board, it would work better, but i dont know. as far as the gpu goes, you should be able to find a working audio driver and ethernet, although be prepared if finding a driver is more difficult than you expect. you will find many pcmcia, usb or mini pci wireless wifi cards that will work on windows 98, though i would avoid pcmcia as my experience with it was not too good, i got resource conflicts and system lockups when trying to confgure pcmcia wifi cards, usb is good but doesn't look practical to me for a laptop. mini pci would be best as its internally and securely installed in the laptop but the problem is some cards not supported, even if they physically fit into the laptop, you will get a message upon booting that the mini pci device is not supported and it has been disabled.