How to block access to the internet from the PC

HyDeNCiTy

Is there a way to stop a machine from going out to the internet? I don't wanna mess with the settings on the Server (we have a small business network). So is there a way from the machine to block Internet access, or just to stop IE from going out?? This machine runs XP SP1a, it's brand new basically. Thanx guys!

Maybe I dont understand the issue here, but it sounds to me like you should just disable the NIC on that certain machine(s).

If all you want to do is really "stop a machine from going out to the internet?", then disabling the NIC (by going into Network Connections, right-click on NIC, then selecting "Disable") is the easiest way.

Hope that helps.

WoRdUp48

I'm sorry maybe I didn't explain clearly enough, my fault. But what I want to do is just stop a person here at work from going out to the internet and yet have them be able to use the network. Basically I don't want this person using the web. That person is really freakin illiterate and most likely start installing stuff on the machine. In any case, that's all I want to do. If I dissable the NIC she will not have access to the network, and we need to her to grab files from our File Server. Is there a way to just stop IE from going out to the internet? Like I said, I don't want to mess with the firewall, or the Server (DC) so is there some setting I can change on the machine to stop IE from going out?? Sorry for the confusion guys, and thanx a lot. :)

You could remove the TCP/IP protocol. The internet uses TCP for communication, without it no Internet. You will have to install another protocol like IPX or NetBui which come with XP but are not installed by default. Netbui is fast for small networks but IPX is routable for large or more complex networks. IPX is also used for Novell Netware networks.

Thanx... I figured out a way to keep the person available to the networ but not able to see the internet. What I did was, since we r using DHCP, I gave that person out of the Dynamic pool and gave that machine a static IP. Next I looked at the dynamic pool on the firewall, and I decided on an IP that was out of both pools. This way the machine has an IP an DNS settings, but not a gateway so it won't fiund it's way out to the internet because the firewall won't allow it.

Thanx though, u guys halped a lot u guys RULE!!! :punk:

There is a way to do this with the command line, im sure i posted it on the forums someplace but cant find it. you can set which users cant access the internet and also between what times its blocked.

You can do the same with group policy or your router anyway.