.NET Optimization Event ID 1111

Jody Thornton

Hi Folks:

Recently I began seeing some errors upon startup in Event Viewer.  It shows an Event ID of 1111 and here's what the error says:

.NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Service reached limit of transient errors.  and a second error shows .NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_64) - Service reached limit of transient errors.

When I start both ngen services, they start and then stop almost immediately.  Then the errors show again.

Now when you Google this stuff, mostly the solution offered is that you need to reinstall Windows Vista, because .NET v2x and 3x are integrated with the OS.  However, I can't believe that there's not a way to repair .NET by grabbing files from install.wim off the installation DVD-ROM.

Besides, my system works great in most other respects.

:)

I have attempted removing about four or five recent .NET v2x updates, and reinstalling them.  I figured that might re-register something.  But no go.

If you have both the ".NET Runtime Optimization Service v. 2.0.50727" and the "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319", set the former to Manual and the latter to Automatic. It makes no difference whether the v4 NGEN is 4.0 or 4.x, that's the one that should be set to Automatic. Let's see whether this removes the Event ID: 1111 or not.

Well that would work, and that would be OK since the only .NET app that I use is CD Burner XP.  It uses .NET 3x binaries though.  Of course I wanted to try to fix it nonetheless...lol

I tried SFC and even all of the cleanup tools (but the latter isn't really a vailid option, since .NET 2 and 3 are integrated with Vista).  Still over the last couple of days, I tried several things that I read on the web.  None of it helped.

So I'm using your solution Dencorso, and disabling .NET Optimzation Services.  Thanks for your help guys.  :)

If I understand correctly, NGEN 4 set to Auto and NGEN 2 set to Manual causes all .NET versions to be optimized, because NGEN 4 will start NGEN 2 (if set to Manual, not Disabled), only when it's really necessary. But that may be just an urban legend, since I've never found official documentation that confirms it.

Well I ended up completely turfing the Microsoft.NET folder under Windows, after taking ownership of the entire tree.  Then I restored the folder tree from the installation DVD.  .NET apps all work now, and my Event log is devoid of those pesky errors.  But now the services are not lited in the Services snap-in.  Oh well it works now without complaint.