Found a New Feature, Sort Of - Previous Versions

NoelC

Some may already know that the "Previous Versions" feature has been resurrected in Windows 10. 

Basically it gives access to files backed by System Image Backups or Restore Points or files saved by File History.  The Properties dialog tab that shows you the previous versions that once existed in Windows 7 and was lost in Windows 8 is now back in Windows 10.

PreviousVersionsTab.png

Well, it seems they've taken it a bit further this time.  Have you noticed a new little "pull-down" indicator on the [Open] button of File-Open dialogs?

NewOpenButtonPreviousVersionsAddition.pn

Anecdote:

I have an application that stores settings in a folder under the Users area.  It turns out those settings all got deleted because of something I did.  I didn't realize that had happened until...

A few days later, I went to load settings using that application's Load Settings menu entry, and it presented me with a File - Open dialog.  At that time I came to realize all the settings had been deleted because the folder they're normally all in was just empty.

But...

I noticed that little button I pictured above, so I tried it.

Sure enough, upon clicking the Show previous versions entry it presented me with a dialog showing the time of the last backup of the Settings folder.

PreviousVersionsSelection.png

Upon double-clicking the Settings entry I saw:

ViewOfPreviousVersionsFiles.png

Thus I was easily able to access the data from a file that had accidentally been deleted but still existed on a backup.  I could drag the files out of there and back to the original folder as well.

This is actually a useful, good feature for traditional desktop users!  One of the very few I've discovered in Windows 10.

-Noel

Wow, that's something I never noticed with Win 7.  So all they did was resurrect a complete feature.  Drat.  I thought I detected a spark of goodness..

-Noel