What would you fix after Windows 7?

xpclient

Classic Shell solves some of the problems.

Another thing that solves a lot of Explorer glitches is to just not use Libraries AT ALL.  The Libraries abstraction changes the timing and there are some very short timeouts buried in Explorer that cause problems such as failing to update the display after a file is changed or deleted.  Use only real disk folders, and back it with high performance hardware, and those problems disappear.

-Noel

I personally see no problem with hiding them and never having them show.

Thanks for reminding me...  I need to apply the settings to hide "Quick Access" and "OneDrive" as well.  I haven't done that yet on this install.

Right now I'm running Win 10 build 10074 with UAC fully disabled.  Everything I want to use seems to work.  And as an added bonus a number of extraneous things like "searchui.exe" (i.e., the ridiculous Cortana) just don't start.  Better and better.

There are still a few things starting, such as WSHost.exe ("Store Broker") and ApplicationFrameHost.exe, that I need to see if I can thwart.

-Noel

they show even if hidden when you expand User folder or click on it

at least on winblows "7"

and if you delete them OS goes FUBAR

Edited by vinifera

Well, it makes some sense that the real folders on the disk would show in your %USERPROFILE% folder.  They put some hidden junctions in there for compatibility with older software (e.g., that looks for the folder "My Documents" instead of "Documents"), but you don't normally see those.

UserProfileArea.png

How hard are subfolders under your %USERPROFILE% folder to ignore?  That seems very different to me than having to work around a bunch of useless stuff that always shows up in the root namespace of the Navigation pane.  This is how I like it to show when it starts.  Note that only This PC and Network are showing.

CleanNavigationPane.png

I do understand your points - I also tend to use my own folders instead of those "prescribed" by Microsoft to try to make using Windows more "Unix-like".  And I also fully understand that different things bother different people, who use Windows in different ways.

-Noel

I do understand your points - I also tend to use my own folders instead of those "prescribed" by Microsoft to try to make using Windows more "Unix-like".  And I also fully understand that different things bother different people, who use Windows in different ways.

I haven't cared for that "My Documents" thing since Windows 98. It's an unnecessary layer of abstraction that actually makes things harder on those occasions when you need to navigate to the actual directory for whatever reason.

At the same time, I do like the abstraction represented by assigning letters to drives, as it simplifies matters considerably. That "sba3" and "hdb1" stuff in Linux directories drives me nuts, I never know what's what. Every time I use some Linux variant, I end up screaming at the monitor, "Just tell me where the d*mn C: drive is!!!!!"

--JorgeA

Well, to make things quicker, if it's a place you go often you could put a shortcut on your desktop with the command line:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe  /expand,%USERPROFILE%\Documents

Personally I've found just opening an Explorer window up to C:\ then navigating to my Users\NoelC folder as needed to be generally convenient enough, especially when I don't have to hunt around amongst a dozen root namespaces in the Navigation pane.

-Noel

i start to be unhappy with Windows

the analogy between Linux and Windows

Windows is the fancy girl that always want buying stuff for her

more ram more cpu power...

Linux girl is just fine with what u got

Microsoft doing it all the time

more metro apps more services running automatically

resources is spare on features we are not gonna use

if there no way to lite windows i properly leave windows or Windows Server Workstation

I see in the future we all have to have SSD to use windows 10

Edited by aviv00