Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
MrMateczko

How to run "welcome.exe" from Win98 on newer Windows?

I want to run the all nice and beautiful "welcome.exe" in my Win7 x64(can try XP x86 as well if desired), but can't do it, does the EXE needs patching?

It simply does nothing when I run it. I do copy all the needed files...

Edited by MrMateczko

Profile it in Dependency Walker on both platforms and compare the debug output.

Here's debug from Win98:

http://pastebin.com/2w4dLKdh

Here's debug from Win7 x64, I've tried to force it to use my integrated Intel, instead on NVIDIA's GPU (I have a laptop with two GPU's), but I don't know how:

http://pastebin.com/4URTSnJ4

Here's debug from XP:

http://pastebin.com/R3TnXVvX

Here's debug from XP without themes:

http://pastebin.com/0KS668vd

While there are errors in Win7 debug, due to NVIDIA stuff...I don't see anything wrong in XP...yet it doesn't work. Not even in compatibility mode.

It took over three years, but I've done it!

It works on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit (created a quick VM to test it)

I've copied Windows 98SE files and made registry keys and folders as shown in the screenshot. (the .htm file was made while making the screenshot. Just like on real 98 system, it disappears shortly after launching the Easter Egg)

The window will glitch out at first, but just move mouse around inside of it and then move it out of the sight and back again to redraw everything and voila!

UDPF5DQ.png

All the buttons run their expected programs, except the Connect to the Internet button which does nothing.

The weldata Easter Egg works as well!

The tickbox for running at every startup does work correctly.

No compatibility settings required.

On my main PC running Windows 10 Pro 1803 the app closes after the window glitches. Bummer :(The weldata Easter Egg still works there.

Main thing is that WELCOME.EXE has a hardcoded path to Applications Data folder, so it will not look anywhere else. And it will differ in WELCOME.EXE from other locales.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/13/2019 at 9:09 AM, MrMateczko said:

It took over three years, but I've done it!

It works on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit (created a quick VM to test it)

I've copied Windows 98SE files and made registry keys and folders as shown in the screenshot. (the .htm file was made while making the screenshot. Just like on real 98 system, it disappears shortly after launching the Easter Egg)

The window will glitch out at first, but just move mouse around inside of it and then move it out of the sight and back again to redraw everything and voila!

UDPF5DQ.png

All the buttons run their expected programs, except the Connect to the Internet button which does nothing.

The weldata Easter Egg works as well!

The tickbox for running at every startup does work correctly.

No compatibility settings required.

On my main PC running Windows 10 Pro 1803 the app closes after the window glitches. Bummer :(The weldata Easter Egg still works there.

Main thing is that WELCOME.EXE has a hardcoded path to Applications Data folder, so it will not look anywhere else. And it will differ in WELCOME.EXE from other locales.

Anyway you could share the files or the instructions with list of files needed? also the reg file. would this work also for the windows me welcome?

From what I know, Windows ME welcome works very differently, I haven't tested it.

All files you need are on the setup CABs in the CD of the system, I can't share them here. :)

I don't know if the registry is needed in the first place, but all the instructions are on the screenshot itself.

You also need win.wbm in the WELCOME folder, it got cut off in the screenshot, sorry :(

Even if you managed to get it working, the buttons don't do anything, it's just a useless show piece. :P

Off-topic - Welcome.exe also works on Wine on my Arch Linux laptop :P
welcome.png

is there a way to make standalone portables from the welcome and tours from th 98/me/2000/xp that would work on xp and up? that would be the best way i would think.