Program for adding registry/modifying entires?

shorterxp

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a program I can use to merge entries aswell as set permissions for those entires?

I can do the former, but it's not automatic and and the permissions are not carried over neither.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Regards

Giro

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I was hoping for a gui to do this. Essentially I wanted to add x.reg to registry via unnattended runonce command and update the permissions.

So far I'm using the below command via CMD.exe box:

%SYSTEMROOT%\REGEDIT.EXE /S %SYSTEMROOT%\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\activate.reg

This works now.

but how do I go about integrating this with runonce in nlite? using .bat perhaps?

Thanks again in meantime :hello:

Edited by shorterxp

Hi again.

Thanks that link is quite informative.

While not the original intention I wondered onto the Office2003 Custom Installation Page here

Only by chance did I stumble upon the "Add/Remove registry entries" page within Custom Installation Wizard utility while transforming office install!

Theres a page in there that allows for importing .reg files automatically... which is what I meant by GUI...

jKGgsL4.jpg

May as well add keys this way if the MSI is automated.

Offtopic: Does \$1\ directory represent default windows installation dir, judging by the link above, I think 'XPCD' represents final nlite cd (image) and that I should copy the transformed.msi aswell as all necessary office setup files to C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\install\Applications\Office2003\.

Then it instructs how to create a batch files, I'm assuming I place the .bat in the same directory, then point RunOnce (in nlite) to this .bat, if I am not mistaken?

Edited by shorterxp

"$1" represents the Root of the target System Drive, not the "Windows" Folder.

Look again at this -

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/18/

The "COMMAND.TXT' is where you place a series of Coomands to run, including any executions of a BAT/CMD file.that may need to be used. These would be where you might place (e.g.) "REG ADD" instructions inside of a BAT/CMD files.

"Runonce" done at "User First Logon".

Here's an article on installing Office (as well as further unattended info) -

http://www.svrops.com/svrops/documents/xpunattend.htm

Don't confuse the Office Customize adding of REG entries with the explanation I gave above. Those have to do with Office and become part of the Office Install Process, not a Generic Registry Alteration (which can apply to anything).

HTH

Are you suggesting keys imported via office setup will be removed if office is uninstalled at later date?

Perhaps I should have been more clear; I wish to use nlite to carry out unattended operations - the guide is not clear in that respect.

Though setup manager does resemble nlite unattended section.

I prefer the  function of nlite and using %SOURCE% commands there.

In this RunOnce list theres links to a few .zip SFX and other executables which will remain on the CD.

These extract/distribute some files, though I understand I could use $1 the same way.

That to me is really the straightforward part.

I'm having trouble with command to include inside .bat file (to import .reg entry).

If I believe right, I  can use RunOnce in nlite to link to .bat and in turn the .bat adds the .reg without prompt, correct?

For example

as previously stated, I currently have a list of SFX.exe on nlite RunOnce page.

In order to automatically add .reg (without prompt) there should also be a .bat file here as well.

This .bat (currently in $OEM$\$1) is essentially a text file which resembles something like:

ECHO.
ECHO Adding Registry Entiries
ECHO Please wait...
REG IMPORT /s activation.reg
Exit

I'm asking if the above script correct?

If I understand correctly, if .bat and .reg are in the same directory a full <path> is not necessary in the .bat.

Therefore If I put activation.reg in prep folder (in $OEM$\$1\install)  - as well as .bat. These will be moved here upon xp installation and then RunOnce should run above script providing it is linked to via RunOnce.

As I say, I'm right now testing .bat with above script but its not adding entry. I'm testing within same dir for simplicity.

Any clues?

Many thanks

Edited by shorterxp

...which automatically uses RegEdit. ;)

Now, just for grins, look inside the $OEM$. Perhaps you neglected to read this?

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/14/

IOW, I didn't give you that link to explain "everything", just a starting point. Do browse the *whole* Unattended Guide.

Yep, you did *exactly* what I had explained (but a variation) using a BAT/CMD file.

I don't really have time to run through nLite scenarios to explain it all in detail ATM.

Here's the nLite screenshots (the one you reference is there) -

http://xdot.tk/nliteimages.html

HTH

edit -

Correlate what the $OEM$ structure is to this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable

Remember, the $OEM$ folder is copied to the %SystemDrive% (generally, C-drive) to the definition of the Subfolders (as stated in the previous links). You would probably have had to use a Variable in your BAT/CMD to indicate *where* a given File is located.

Edited by submix8c