any windows 3.11 gurus kickin around?

supernova777

No. Not unless you want to use two or more mTCP programs at the same time. If you use FTPSRV and HTTPSERV at the same time, then yes.

In an earlier post, I was giving instruction on how you could do it. But unless you needed it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Making sure your Dillo and Links worked, seemed more important.

By now, you have your head wrapped around this pretty good. I'll probably have to start asking you for advice.

I do apologize. This last setup, I should have had you try right away. It is the most appropriate configuration. For whatever reason, my Windows behaves differently; allowing me to cheat a little.

No. MTCPCFG is only for mTCP programs.

Dillo and Links both use WATTCP.CFG.

If you are only using one (Dillo/Links) at a time, you can use the same config by adding "SET WATT.CFG=" in autoexec.bat.

But if you are going to be using both, at the same time, then each needs their own config in the folder with them.

TCP/IP Stack

It is important to understand, that in Windows there is a single TCP/IP stack that Windows programs utilize for networking. There is a TCP I.P. issued and all Windows TCP/IP programs route through it.

Dos does not use the Windows TCP/IP stack. Dos also does not have a "main" TCP/IP stack. Most of the time, a TCP/IP stack is built into each program. Since Dos is single tasking, this isn't a problem. One task = one I.P..

So, if we multitask TCP/IP stacks, we get multiple I.P. addresses.

Wattcp is a TCP/IP stack, and programs with it built into them use WATTCP.CFG as a configuration file.

mTCP is a TCP/IP stack, and programs with it built into them use MTCPCFG.CFG as a configuration file.

They can't use the same file, because they are not the same TCP/IP stack.

8 minutes ago, shelby said:

Yes i know this. The question is i put the vektors in the files but still i have no connectivity. Must i run the DHCP with the vektors of dillo's and links?

No. Dillo and Links look to WATTCP.CFG at execution and use the information inside to determine how to connect. They have their own DHCP.

DHCP is just used to put information at the bottom of MTCPCFG.CFG.

But I asked you to use it, to verify that your Dos applications were getting a different I.P.. And to show you what I.P. you might have to allow firewall passage, if you wanted connection for them.

3 minutes ago, shelby said:

Now i understand. So the vektor from pktdrv the wattcp it uses to give connectivity as the mtcpcfg do

Yup :) Or at least it seems like you got it.

Edited by awkduck

4 minutes ago, awkduck said:

No. Dillo and Links look to WATTCP.CFG at execution and use the information inside to determine how to connect. They have their own DHCP.

That is the information i did know

Edited by shelby

In the Arachne DOC folder, there is a file "LAN.HTM".

It says,

If you are already running DOSLYNX (or other WatTcp applications) and have a working DOSLYNX.CFG, try to update your ARACHNE.CFG with something like this:

Connection READY
IP_Address WATTCP
TCP_Config C:\DOSLYNX\DOSLYNX.CFG (or e.g., C:\WATTCP\WATTCP.CFG)

Their DHCP is built in (onboard).

mTCP programs will read the config file. If the config file is configure for DHCP, mTCP programs will use their internal DHCP; unless the config file has the settings already saved at the bottom.

WATTCP programs will also follow their config file, and use their internal DHCP. But those setting are only saved, for latter use, if the config file is set with the option to save them.

At the bottom of this page, it says that some WATTPC programs don't always work with DHCP. (bug?)

If that is the case, you might need to set the file your self. That same page provides a example snippet.

10 minutes ago, awkduck said:

At the bottom of this page, it says that some WATTPC programs don't always work with DHCP. (bug?)

If that is the case, you might need to set the file your self. That same page provides a example snippet.

So i have to add them manually. What ip must add to the files?

Edited by shelby