Modify Windows XP Splash Screen

MrMaguire

Now that I've successfully modified the Windows 2000 splash screen, I want to try the same thing on Windows XP. Remember how XP RTM and SP1 had the "Professional" designation on the splash screen? I do, and I want that in SP3.

So, first thing I did was to set up a fresh copy of XP Professional RTM and I looked to compare its NTOSKRNL.EXE with that of a fully updated XP Professional SP3 install. Problem was: The bitmap resources in NTOSKRNL.EXE seem to be mostly blank, and mostly the same between the two. Are the actual bitmaps used for the splash screen stored elsewhere? What am I missing?

XP_Splash_Screen_Modify_1_small.png

Click to see the full size image

Thanks for the link. I downloaded those colour palettes, but I couldn't find an option in Fireworks MX 2004 to load them. I also tried GIMP and got to loading them, but when I did the bitmap remained completely blank.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the link. I downloaded those colour palettes, but I couldn't find an option in Fireworks MX 2004 to load them. I also tried GIMP and got to loading them, but when I did the bitmap remained completely blank.

Hi MrMaguire.

Did you achieve the bootscreen?