Issues with the 3.5" SATA to CompactFlash SSD Adapter

ppgrainbow

Would this be accurate?

The device with media inserted is slow to start, but the device without media is not slow to start.

I think so.

And if so, it begs the question:

What about inserting another media, from another manufacturer and maybe even a different (but smaller) size?

try a different media. Maybe the current one causes the slow start. Or you can insert the media each time after the boot. Or use Hibernation to avoid restarting all devices. Suspend/Resume of devices is much faster.

The only way that I can try different CompactFlash card sizes is turning off the computer, ejecting the current CF card and inserting another one. I tried a 2 GB capacity CF card the other day and Windows Vista still stalled after boot. I was hoping for a solution so that I don't have to eject the CF card for at least one minute when Windows Vista restarts all of the devices after it boots up.

Update: I re-enabled the hibernation feature. This is the case when the power went out about a hour ago.

Anyways, for some reason. The BIOS would detect the CF card inside the SATA-to-CF drive, but when Windows Vista boots up and resets the devices, the CF card inserted into the drive would not load properly.

I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this buggy issue here via a registry hack or a utility?

Edited by ppgrainbow

The only way that I can try different CompactFlash card sizes is turning off the computer, ejecting the current CF card and inserting another one. I tried a 2 GB capacity CF card the other day and Windows Vista still stalled after boot. I was hoping for a solution so that I don't have to eject the CF card for at least one minute when Windows Vista restarts all of the devices after it boots up.

Wait a minute.

If the thingy is SATA connected, it should be "hot swappable", or not?

http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm

jaclaz

Wait a minute.

If the thingy is SATA connected, it should be "hot swappable", or not?

http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm

jaclaz

According to the NewEgg review on StarTech's SATA-to-CF card:

This product does not support hot-swapping of flash cards while the PC is powered on. You must turn-off your computer to switch cards.

For some reason, the CF card when inserted into the SATA-to-CF drive would not load correctly when Windows Vista resets the devices after it boots up as one NewEgg reviewer complains that the the drive is either incompatible or poorly made.

I should try the HotSwap! utility to see how things go from here.

Okay, I think that I finally solved the problem.

It's the capacity of larger CompactFlash cards itself and not the SATA-to-CF drive. As far as I know, although the BIOS will recognise larger CF cards in POST, the Windows operating system will NOT boot correctly, if not at all.

I have tested the boot process with the First Champion 1 GB 80x CompactFlash card and well do you know, Windows Vista booted up without problems. :)

I haven't been able to test a 2 GB or a 8 GB capacity CF cards as they may not work 100% correctly with the SATA to CF drive.

The SATA-to-CF drive treated the Kingston Ultimate 32 GB 266x drive as a floppy drive and since it had trouble booting properly, I ended up ruining the card and tossing it in the trash.

Edit: I tested it with some of the CF cards and found that the First Champion 1 GB CF card worked, but as far as I know, that CF card is not bootable. I also tested it with a Kingston 1 GB CF card and the CF card has issues being recognised when Windows Vista boots up.

I wish that I had the time to test which CF cards work with the Startech SATA to CF drive, but I don't right now. :(

Edited by ppgrainbow

I haven't been able to test a 2 GB or a 8 GB capacity CF cards as they may not work 100% correctly with the SATA to CF drive.

I don't understand. :w00t::ph34r:

You haven't been able to test a 2 Gb or 8 Gb because you have not any handy.

OR

You have been able to test a 2 gb and a 8 Gb BUT they did not work 100% correctly.

OR

You decided to NOT test a 2 Gb and a 8 Gb (though you would have been able to test them) because you believe they won't work correctly

:unsure:

jaclaz

I don't understand. :w00t::ph34r:

You haven't been able to test a 2 Gb or 8 Gb because you have not any handy.

OR

You have been able to test a 2 gb and a 8 Gb BUT they did not work 100% correctly.

OR

You decided to NOT test a 2 Gb and a 8 Gb (though you would have been able to test them) because you believe they won't work correctly

:unsure:

jaclaz

I don't understand too. I think it would be best to contact StarTech regarding this issue.