Difficulty in finding kb888111xpsp3.exe for Microsoft windows xp profe

That file is for win 2k,XP original sp1-2, and 2k3 original and sp1...Its not a driver. Its a driver interface. All it wil do is is find your audio device and allow you to install the driver for the device if the operating system is lower than SP3. Meaning it only helps installing HD audio drivers on SP2 or lower. But it self is not a driver.

Microsoft will email you the hotfix if you go to this link. This is likely not your problem though.

That hotfix used to be included or may still be included in archived versions of realtek HD audio drivers as well. Thats how I got mine. before service pack 3 came out realtek used to include that hotfix with thier driver. Becasue you needed to instal it before u could instal HD audio drivers back then. Id upload it but its 500k limit.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

What model computer do you have? Make and model? If it is a whitebox what motherboard do you have? That will help alot in finding the right driver.

Edited by oldskool

• 7 months later...

That hotfix used to be included or may still be included in archived versions of realtek HD audio drivers as well.  Thats how I got mine.  before service pack 3 came out realtek used to include that hotfix with thier driver.  Becasue you needed to instal it before u could instal HD audio drivers back then.  

That hotfix is still included, even in the latest Realtek HD Audio driver package (R2.74) for Windows 2000/XP.  If you're computer uses Realtek HD Audio, there's no need for the KB888111 hotfix; just install the Realtek high definition audio drivers and they will work on XP SP3.  Read this little quote from Microsoft KB article 888111:

Version 1.0a of the UAA High Definition Audio class driver does not work on High Definition Audio implementations that were disclosed to Microsoft after August 1, 2004.

In short, just install the required HD Audio drivers from your PC manufacturer (Conexant, ADI/Soundmax, Sigmatel/IDT, Realtek or VIA) and not worry about KB888111.