Windows NT 4 performance

Flasche

How to install NT onto new pc (assumed that NT must installed in primary partition, mostly C:\)

1) I need to access real hdd and extract NT files from virtual hdd image to real hdd, I can use for it:

a. preinstalled another Windows OS, f.e. XP/2000/2003

(you could also install NT into the same partition as another Windows OS, however you must either delete "Program Files" directory from NT image or try to mix it with "Program FIles" from XP/2000/2003)

and make sure that main OS directory differs - NT (mostly \WINNT dir) and XP/2000/2003 (mostly \WINDOWS dir)

b. boot WinPE shell either from LAN, USB or from CD/DVD

2) extract NT image to real hdd, I use winimage tool for it.

3) need to add newline into boot.ini, f.e. this one:

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"

4) need to make NT master boot record, it is needed when NT is only one OS installed

(you could use XP/2000/2003 boot CD Recovery Console ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058 ) for it, commands are FIXBOOT, FIXMBR)

Edited by bearwindows

I can remove the hard-drive from my net-book with a little time, but there must be an easier way to do it then what I plan. Any other way to access the harddrive, rather usb, or usb (flashdrive).

If it will boot from CD or USB, then a Linux live CD or live USB system would really be handy. Of course, you would need to know your way around in that OS, or have a friend who does.

Phil

flasche,

you are doing it wrong. (no offence intended).

Basically you get *some* (and *some* only) info from this thread, then "go astray" looking elsewhere for procedures/tools/whatever that you think will fit your needs (but that may not or that may make this NT 4.00 install more complex than needed).

Please, answer these questions:

1. How big is the laptop hard disk?
  2. Is it Pata or Sata?
  3. If Sata, does it have the option in BIOS to use "IDE compatibility mode"?
  4. Does the laptop have a USB port?
  5. Does it's BIOS allow booting from USB?
  6. Do you have a "bigger-than-the-laptop's hard disk" USB hard disk?
  7. Are you familiar with Qemu (actually Qemu Manager)?
  8. Are you familiar with making a USB bootable PE of some kind?

jaclaz

flasche,

you are doing it wrong. (no offence intended).

Basically you get *some* (and *some* only) info from this thread, then "go astray" looking elsewhere for procedures/tools/whatever that you think will fit your needs (but that may not or that may make this NT 4.00 install more complex than needed).

Please, answer these questions:

1. How big is the laptop hard disk?
  2. Is it Pata or Sata?
  3. If Sata, does it have the option in BIOS to use "IDE compatibility mode"?
  4. Does the laptop have a USB port?
  5. Does it's BIOS allow booting from USB?
  6. Do you have a "bigger-than-the-laptop's hard disk" USB hard disk?
  7. Are you familiar with Qemu (actually Qemu Manager)?
  8. Are you familiar with making a USB bootable PE of some kind?

jaclaz

1. acer aspire one aoa150 ( I have 2 one with ME the other trying to get nt 4 on)

2. Sata

3. Dont have chance to check for I got to leave now. (school) http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171538-windows-nt-4-performance/?p=1075885

4. Of course how do you think I tried the usb dos way you mentioned

5. ditto

6. No. I dont have any external hard drives

7.No

8.No

Edited by Flasche

3. This is important to know, post this info when you are back.

6. but you have an available USB stick, right? How big in size? How big do you want to make the NT 4.00 install?

7. This will be easily fixed, get it from links posted here:

http://reboot.pro/topic/18163-memdisk-limit-creating-bootable-dos-image/?p=167861

and play a bit with it. The reason I am suggesting to you Qemu is that it uses a "most plain" virtual hardware and can use directly dd-like images (without the complication of .pln or .vmdk descriptor files, thus avoiding th eneed of *any* conversion).

8.not relevant, if the USB stick is big enough to contain a plain dd-like image (as-is or gzipped) as we can use grub4dos dd to restore it to the laptop hard disk.

jaclaz

Does your computer (acer aspire one aoa150) really have an Atom processor, something like 1GB ram, and so on?

Then I see no excellent reason to run Nt4 on it! Xp would fit the hardware, and so would my preferred W2k - possibly with limited tweaking but with full performance.

These two Win (possibly more recent ones, I ignore that) would be fast on this computer and exploit its full performance, with a limited effort. (All?) present applications run on Xp, including antivirus and firewall, decently recent browsers as well, certainly not on Nt4 - that's the choice between Internet or not.

Perhaps maybe Windows ME could run on this hardware with a reasonable effort, and it would start faster and be snappier than W2k or Xp, but:

- Applications aren't written for Me presently.

- Not necessarily all drivers available. Bye-bye to Ncq in disks access anyway.

- Uses only 512MiB Ram by default. Turnarounds exist, need time investment.

- Fat32 normally. Bye-bye to the safer Ntfs.

Your hardware can run present applications (not the dumbest ones), so I'd really feel wasteful to exclude them because of an old OS. I do install Win 95b or Me, but on much older machines, which won't go on the Internet - things like Pentium 1 with 40MiB Ram.

You find licenses for W2k and Xp over eCreek for very little money.

Done

3. This is important to know, post this info when you are back.

6. but you have an available USB stick, right? How big in size? How big do you want to make the NT 4.00 install?

7. This will be easily fixed, get it from links posted here:

http://reboot.pro/to...image/?p=167861

and play a bit with it. The reason I am suggesting to you Qemu is that it uses a "most plain" virtual hardware and can use directly dd-like images (without the complication of .pln or .vmdk descriptor files, thus avoiding th eneed of *any* conversion).

8.not relevant, if the USB stick is big enough to contain a plain dd-like image (as-is or gzipped) as we can use grub4dos dd to restore it to the laptop hard disk.

3. As for rather it used ide compatibility mode or ahci. I strongly believe that mein has ide compatibly for the fact that it natively had XP on it and XP does not natively support ahci.

6. Yes I do and it is 16 gb

7. I heard of it before (of course from you recomending it other posts), but never knew that if properly set doesnt need conversion. "downloading and soon seting up the 'dummy' test"

8. I would bet that my 16 gb can hold the ddlike image.

Edited by Flasche

3. As for rather it used ide compatibility mode or ahci. I strongly believe that mein has ide compatibly for the fact that it natively had XP on it and XP does not natively support ahci.

Well, it does not work like that.

If the hardware is SATA, the BIOS of the machine may (or may not) provide a IDE compatibility option, particularly on Large OEM machines, the "XP does not support SATA natively" is irrelevant, XP has the possibility to integrate additional drivers, so the fact that "as it was released from MS it's drivers database did not contain SATA drivers"does not imply that the BIOS has this mode.

As a matter of fact a largish number of "large OEM" laptops do have this issue of having a very limited choices BIOSes.

jaclaz