Windows Automated Installer (WAI)

1/ XPlode by Wraith

XPlode is a tool which aids installation of programs during a Windows XP / 2003 installation. (Even been known to run under Win2K! Requires a copy of GDIPLUS.DLL.)

It gives the ability to add users to the system, run programs, create shortcuts, modify the registry, and perform file and directory operations, all during a Windows installation.

XPlode uses an XML script and a plugin architecture so you can modify what it does, how it runs, and only include the commands you need to use.

2/ This kind of program already exists, Consult my post on this topic.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=16548&hl=

Nevertheless, it does not meet entirely my needs.

Like SKiTLz, I wish to be able to make several commands for only one application to install.

Exemple for pcAnywhere 10.5:

SOFTWARE,Symantec pcAnywhere 10.5 Elève seulement,msiexec /i C:\IBMTOOLS\APPS\HOSTONLY\package.msi /qn

PCAUPD,Symantec pcAnywhere 10.5.1 update,C:\IBMTOOLS\APPS\HOSTONLY\fr_up_10.5.1.exe /s

PCAUPD,Kill reboot after update process,C:\IBMWORK\pskill.exe runpcalu.exe

and i would care, why?

I don't care if there are other programs like this. I didnt know there were and i decided to make one.. I do it for the fun of it, its no fun if you use a allredy made one..

Anyway, mines gonna be the best, and i'm sure the other coders of the other ones say that because they make it to fit their needs.

This program is going to be made to suite my needs. It will work the way i want it to, and work well..

if anyone has any suggestions to it, sure ill add it - but mainly this is a personal project for both fun and a practical use on my unatended XP CD.

And this program will run under any os ms make, xcept 95.

Chris.

I know im not supid :).. ...

What's wrong with this picture?

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Personally, I encourage any and all. Keep up the good work!

Just the way he replied, it bugged me. Also im really annoyed at the moment - personal reasons.

Chris.

@cubie ppl are just saying why make another one where there is already a good working one. and u seemed to be going the same path as in reading from xml etc.

also i think c++ is more functional than vb.

ppl' needs are already covered in xplode.

it can run from network

accepts switches

can copy/move dirs/files etc.

so u're going to be doing mostly the same thing.

well i'm not saying u shouldn't do it simply bc having a variety is always good. I mean look at different programs say for picture viewer. many many many of them. most do the same thing, though have little differences and easier ease of use etc.

go for it....

I don't know why people are comparing this to XPlode. They're both different from each other. WAI is a selection screen for people who choose what apps to install or not.

Cut him some slack.

I don't know why people are comparing this to XPlode. They're both different from each other. WAI is a selection screen for people who choose what apps to install or not.

Cut him some slack.

Agreed.

I will, however, suggest one thing to CuBie...

Don't start too many projects - they'll never get completed :)

Anyone remembers the XP Post Installer from a guy that posted it here?

It was with .hta files. Dunno the name right now, sorry.

You could select in boxes which programm etc. to install. You could give 1, 2 or 500 lines per installation in there.

The only bad thing is, that you have to touch 5 Files and change them if you want to add a new installation.

I modified it to get a Regtweak selection. So i get a box like the WAI and can check the boxes of what regtweak and what programm i want to have installed.

Theres a "default" marker and an "All" marker for quick selections.

I use this as Unattended installation from GUIRUNONCE Section because you can give it an autoinstall timer.

I also build a CD with all Installations i may need and just have to put in the CD and check the Programms/Regtweaks i want to have installed and it installs from CD.

It produces a batch file as output, that has to be run.

I may have a look where the original thread of that guy is if i have the time. Check that out.

Cut him some slack.

Agreed.

I will, however, suggest one thing to CuBie...

Don't start too many projects - they'll never get completed :)

Haha yeh, i have tendency to get soo many ideas and to get them all out i start loads of projects and then i only end up finishing one or two....

But hopefully this and Windows PE Operating System Installer will get finished.

I had a look at c++.net yesteday in my visual studio 2003 IDE. Theres soo many project types and i donno where to start or what one to use, if you (Wraith) could gimme some tips that would be great..

Soryr about the way i acted a few posts back, i have some anger problems and when somthing goes wrong and it builds up i find it hard to release the anger =(.. Im working on it tho - like giving my dad a good beatin' up :rolleyes:

later all!

Chris.

http://www.codeproject.org/ should give you a good start.

If you're interested, I made XPlode with WTL, rather than MFC, so check the section on WTL (it's down the bottom on the sidebar) if you're interested.

WTL gives a lot of the UI functionality of MFC, but without the need of the MFC library.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if you could add a "Select all", "Deselect" And Maybe make more custom setups, like change the colour of it, and change it so it shows up in the taskbar.

Add to the title? Please make more customizations, that'd be appreciated.