Win ME system file protection question

ZortMcGort11

Is "system file protection" disabled when I turn off "system restore"? These are two different things, right? One is for proctecting and replacing critical system files in the background, and the other is for creating a backup restore point to roll back to. I always turn off system restore, just to save space and speed things ups, plus I'd rather format my hard drive anyway if something gets messed up. Does anyone know what PC Health and Statemgr.exe (or stmgr) processes are for? By disabling "system restore" I'm not also turning off system file protection am I? Thanks... hope somebody knows.

Edited by LostInSpace2012

: - )

Thanks for clarifying, Dencorso.

That's what I thought. Because I haven't seen any buttons that say "turn off system file protection" anywhere. Just making sure it wasn't included with the system restore. The amount of software I install on a daily basis, if it wasn't on, I think my computer wouldn't work as good as it does.

WinFAQ is in german: WinFAQ/

There are a lot of translators outthere.

babelfish.de gives:

Under Windows ME Here you can quite easily turn off the feature. Do this, open the "Start " - > "Run " the program " MSCONFIG.EXE ". Here you can now deactivate under the "Startup" tab, select " * StateMgr " and restart your computer. :)

PC Health includes Help files, the troubleshooting tutorials, system file protection, system restore and auto update.

statemgr.exe is a component of the system restore feature. It checks on boot-up how much time has elapsed since the last restore point and, if necessary, creates a new restore point. Once the boot process is complete, its sfp alter ego stmgr.exe then checks whether protected Windows system files were overwritten by older files during a recent installation of 3rd party software, and restores them to their previous level.

If the system is kept running for a number of days, or if a program being installed requests a restore point to be created prior to the installation, then stmgr.exe is invoked and creates a restore point. stmgr.exe also monitors other aspects of your system as you are running it. This is a memory resident feature which consumes system resources, while statemgr.exe runs only at boot.

To disable system restore, double-click the System icon in Control Panel and choose the Performance tab. Click File System. Choose the Troubleshooting tab. Turn on the Disable System Restore option.

To see what System File Protection is guarding, navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System\sfp

Open the file sfpdb.sfp with Notepad or Wordpad. This is the list of files being protected

Open the file sfplog.txt in the same folder to see what actions were taken

You can disable System File Protection, but you will have to edit the registry, and the process also disables System Restore and the Help feature in the Start Menu. It is a one way street. To get the PC Health features back, you have to reinstall Windows ME.