Greetings and Help request.

Flasche

Hmm wow a lot has happened since I last checked. I thank you all for your replies. Jaclaz and submix8c you two are very knowledgeable can you tell me sites where I can learn about the windows NT ( and 9x though 9x is an optional request ) kernels. It bugs seeing people do all of these projects and I cant do anything to help.

Hmm wow a lot has happened since I last checked. I thank you all for your replies. Jaclaz and submix8c you two are very knowledgeable can you tell me sites where I can learn about the windows NT ( and 9x though 9x is an optional request ) kernels. It bugs seeing people do all of these projects and I cant do anything to help.

You have to consider how - among all programming chores - kernel level programming is one of the most difficult ones (if not outright the most difficult one).

ones.

I wouldn't advice anyone to start from it.

You normally need a decent familiarity with C/ C++ and with writing programs in userland before attempting to go down to kernel level.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Windows_Programming/User_Mode_vs_Kernel_Mode

jaclaz

You have to consider how - among all programming chores - kernel level programming is one of the most difficult ones (if not outright the most difficult one).

ones.

I wouldn't advice anyone to start from it.

You normally need a decent familiarity with C/ C++ and with writing programs in userland before attempting to go down to kernel level.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Windows_Programming/User_Mode_vs_Kernel_Mode

jaclaz

Thanks for the info Jaclaz and for your time. You showed me I have a lot to learn :o , and learn shall I. The first thing I'm gonna do is learn c/c++ then focus on userland. Kernel level can wait, but can't wait to get to it.

Edited by Flasche

• 1 month later...

This maybe isn't helpful, Flasche, but you could always give QBasic a quick try, if you want to try "easy" beginner programming. And since I notice that you have Windows ME selected as your OS, finding a copy of Qbasic for Dos would probably be the fastest, easiest way of jumping into the world of programming. Sure, it's a crummy defunct language, and you can make cheesy DOS games with it, but as a "programming 101" course it's pretty good. There's millions of tutorials out there. You can probably learn it in like 1 day. And if you needed any help with Qbasic, I'd be glad to offer pointers. I made a few programs myself with qbasic, back in the day.

This maybe isn't helpful, Flasche, but you could always give QBasic a quick try, if you want to try "easy" beginner programming. And since I notice that you have Windows ME selected as your OS, finding a copy of Qbasic for Dos would probably be the fastest, easiest way of jumping into the world of programming. Sure, it's a crummy defunct language, and you can make cheesy DOS games with it, but as a "programming 101" course it's pretty good. There's millions of tutorials out there. You can probably learn it in like 1 day. And if you needed any help with Qbasic, I'd be glad to offer pointers. I made a few programs myself with qbasic, back in the day.

I'll give it a try. Though curiously do you know a good site to learn the assembly language since I want to debug programs.

Well I never learned Assembly, so I wouldn't know where to point you to. I can't give advice about something I know nothing about.

I took a course in Visual Basic (for making Windows programs) in high school... and before that I already had an interest in Qbasic (DOS). Other than learning HTML, dos batch commands, and Basic, that's as far as my programming skills evolved. BASIC is a high level language, and in the case of HTML, a very high level language... both are very different than assembly and much easier than assembly too.

You should go after what interests you though. Like, do you want to make apps? Or do you want to make games? Or do you want to do hard, low level assembly programming?

There's lots of different kinds of programming to choose from.

I liked Qbasic, well, simply because I could read the code of other's people games and learn from them. Plus, pretty much none of it was copyrighted, game source code was entirely free to edit and alter; the entire QBasic fan community was pretty much open to sharing. You learned by reading other people's works and playing around with them. I suppose it's like that with other languages, I don't know... but QuickBasic source code was confined to one single .bas file to open and read in a text editor. Again, it was extremely low tech and fast, but fun! The core concepts of programming are there however. There were some really smart people who did some amazing things with it. They were geniuses probably.

You gotta just go for what interests you :-)

Edited by LostInSpace2012

I'll give it a try. Though curiously do you know a good site to learn the assembly language since I want to debug programs.

Start on the donkey's stable :w00t:, seriously :yes:

http://www.donkeysstable.com/

their WinExplorer is a little gem :thumbup and from there you have many relevant links to "modern" assembly programming and tools.

jaclaz