Compaq EVO N620c and CF/PCMCIA resources problem under W98SE

xrayer

Hi,

I upgraded my NTB to slightly newer model from N600c to N620c and I have also Win98SE there. Windows redetected all HW and I installed all necessary drivers. Everything works except PCMCIA problem with CF card to PCMCIA adapter. Old NTB use PCMCIA controller from TI, N620 has O2Micro OZ6933. I even found "drivers" resp. just an INF file for this controller and installed it.

I have no problem with PCMCIA WiFi card, it works fine but when I push there a CF adapter I get BSOD. After I pressed key I can back to windows that leaved alive little bit. I went to device manager and see the problem. The CF card was detected under disk controllers as a standard IDE and there was warning about resources conflict. So I went to resources card and see that it uses standatd IDE port IO address 170-177 and 376-377 and IRQ0. I disabled the automatic configuration and explore 13 available settings but every of them was in conflict. Mostly because of 170-177 and 1F0-1F7 are used by my onboard IDE (HDD on pri & DVD on sec. channel). There was also configuration that uses only IO 0000-000F that was in conflict with DMA controller and other one that uses only memory range 00000000-000007FF that was in conflict with ACPI BIOS (this is IVT). So there was no chance to select non-conflicting option. This is why it's called plug & pray...

Under WinXP it works fine and when I looked at resources the CF card was assigned to only some high IO addres like FC00 or something like this, no IRQ required, no IDE port conflict...

Just for curiosity I tried to disable my secondary IDE channel to free resources for CF card. It didn't BSOD when I pushed card in and even it beeped like it did on old NTB but I didn't get assigned a drive letter. I tried different CF cards but no result. Last I disabled this standard IDE to prevent BSOD and reenabled secondary onboard IDE for DVD. BIOS doesn't offer any options for pnp & resources.

Did someone else have this issue and solved it? On N620c or similar NTB with similar PCMCIA controller?

Edited by xrayer

Which exact driver version/date are you using?

I believe that the drivers for the 02Micro cardbus/pcmcia are pretty much generic, I see here (example):

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS002488

Summary of Changes
v1.32
- (New) Support for ThinkPad i Series 1400
v1.34
- (Fix) Can not recognize some memory PCMCIA cards.

that some early version cannot recognize "some memory cards" . :unsure:

jaclaz

that some early version cannot recognize "some memory cards" . :unsure:

jaclaz

Thanks, but drivers package you linked doesn't support OZ6933, only older OZ68xx. Later I found newer driver:

O2Micro cardbus controller driver V04.18.01 that contains also VXD file:

25993 Apr 18 2001 cb418ali.w98

25993 Apr 18 2001 cbsso2.vxd

7392 May 14 2001 o2mcbse.cat

6137 Apr 30 2001 o2mcbse.inf

I clean up registry from older drivers and intalled this new version but same result.

I know that Compact Flash can work in 2 modes: IDE/ATA and PC Card (PCMCIA). This mode is selected by one CF pin that is probably manipulated by PCMCIA slot bridge. Maybe WinXP uses it in PCMCIA mode that doesn't require conflicting standard IDE IO address and under Win9x it for some reason use ATA mode and I cannot force it to flip but not sure...

EDIT:

Here are screenshots from device manager - Win98SE:

w9x1.png

w9x2.png

And WinXP (here it works out of the box, no drivers needed):

wxp1.png

wxp2.png

Edited by xrayer

Thanks, but drivers package you linked doesn't support OZ6933, only older OZ68xx.

The idea of "example" is - strangely enough :whistle: - that of it being an "example".

BTW it seems like that thing is Cardbus (not PCMCIA), see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/141776-modifying-a-really-old-dell-laptop/

though cannot say if it can be connected to the issue.

Those IRQ/Resource conflicts are usually a nightmare :(, and on a laptop there are very little changes you can make, but since the thingy works in XP, it should mean that *somehow* it can be solved through software only (either "better" drivers or different resource allocation).

You can *try* listing ALL the IRQ/resource settings in XP and see if you can manually replicate them under Win98, possiby disabling/removing some other devices, but it is hard to say if you may succeed :(.

jaclaz

The problem is likely that standard IDE controller driver of 98 is dumped on the hardware, and that driver does not allow free adjustment of the resources. However you should be able to add new ranges to the INF and that should make it work...

Edited by TmEE

You can *try* listing ALL the IRQ/resource settings in XP and see if you can manually replicate them under Win98, possiby disabling/removing some other devices, but it is hard to say if you may succeed :(.

No, I cannot replicate it under Win98. There is only limited set of configurations and I cannot see the same IO address range as I can see under XP. IRQ is not a problem, I can assign IRQ5 that is free (LPT use IRQ7). Maybe... I read that ISA cards has configurable IO address range 0000-3FF and PCI 0000-FFFF, maybe Win98 treats the pcmcia/cardbus bridge as ISA device even if it is PCI and don't allow the high IO FFE0-FFEF but why?

The problem is likely that standard IDE controller driver of 98 is dumped on the hardware, and that driver does not allow free adjustment of the resources. However you should be able to add new ranges to the INF and that should make it work...

I'm not much familiar with INF files, could you help me to which section should I add the IO address range? When CF card was first plugged it detected standard IDE/ESDI controller and it found a driver in windows/inf/mshdc.inf - so you mean this file should be modified...

And I got some idea: I can dump PCI configuration registers of pcmcia bridge under XP and I can set them under Win98 or under DOS just before Win98 boots. I have some bare datasheet of the bridge but there's no description of registers. As a minimum I can check if they are same or different. But I think it may have another configuration regs in IO or MMIO space...

Edited by xrayer

No, I cannot replicate it under Win98. There is only limited set of configurations and I cannot see the same IO address range as I can see under XP. IRQ is not a problem, I can assign IRQ5 that is free (LPT use IRQ7). Maybe... I read that ISA cards has configurable IO address range 0000-3FFF ? and PCI 0000-FFFF, maybe Win98 treats the pcmcia/cardbus bridge as ISA device even if it is PCI and don't allow the high IO FFE0-FFEF but why?

Check your 98 IRQ steering:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/182604/en-us

jaclaz

I guess make a copy of MSHDC.INF and modify the top two sections to be like the 3rd one is here (copied from MSHDC.INF) and feed it to the new device. Perhaps it'll work then.

[esdilc1]ConfigPriority=HARDWIREDIOConfig=1f0-1f7(3ff::)IOConfig=3f6-3f6(3ff::)IRQConfig=14[esdilc2]ConfigPriority=HARDWIREDIOConfig=170-177(3ff::)IOConfig=376-376(3ff::)IRQConfig=15[esdilcgen1]ConfigPriority=HARDWIREDIOConfig=10@0-ffff%fff0(ffff::)IRQConfig=3,4,5,7,9,10,11,12,14,15

> jaclaz

I checked this and steering is enabled (IRQ tables loaded by ACPI). But IRQ is not problem and can be changed.

> TmEE

Thanks, I modified it this way, deleted from dev mgr and let it redetect but any chage. I still cannot set different I/O than standard IDE.

I quickly checked PCI registers and saw some differences of setting BARs and maybe something else under XP vs 98. I will make a simple tool to dump and reload all PCI regs and try to set them before boot but maybe win98 will change it anyway...