how to copy certain 'files' to desktop?

Hi, i'm trying to copy some 'shortcut files' into desktop when UnAttend install ends.

i guess i need to use 'cmd' file to do that?

i tried testing it out, but i couldn't get it to copy from $1\ to $1\documents and settings\administrator\ (or all users)\ desktop

anyone knows how to do it, i'd really appreciate feedback.

thank you :)

You could use the "Shortcut" utility from the resource kit to actually create shortcuts wherever you want them. Here is how I do it:

shortcut.exe -f -t "%ProgramFiles%\SysInternals\autoruns.exe" -n "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\AutoRuns.lnk" -i "%ProgramFiles%\SysInternals\autoruns.exe"

SP2 RC1 adds a shortcut to the desktop. It does this by a setting in it's inf. I highly doubt anyone would want to modify sp2's inf to simply add a shortcut to the desktop, but doesn't sp2 use the same update.exe that hotfixes use? Maybe you could modify a hotfix's inf to add a shortcut to the desktop. This is pure speculation, but an idea someone might want to try.

-gosh

as far as I am aware, 2k doesn't support the Oobe folders. i.e. $Docs and $AllUsers :)

hmmm, the shortcut.exe program could come in handy, but it's not in the XP deploy kit, and I don't have the resource kit :rolleyes: oh wellz.

Well, Windows shortcuts are not the same as UNIX symlinks and so the lnk file that works on one system will often not work on another system.

This is because when a shortcut .LNK file is copied to another machine, then by default the shortcut's target will be automatically updated - e.g. create a shortcut on Machine1 to C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT when copied to Machine2 the shortcut will point back to \\Machine1\c$\AUTOEXEC.BAT

To change this default - add this to the registry before creating the shortcut:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
"LinkResolveIgnoreLinkInfo"=dword:00000001

The Shortcut utility can fix these problems with existing lnk files, but I have found it to be easier just to generate new shortcuts.

Here is a link to another utility that will do the same thing for you.

Another option is to use a wsh script: (optional args are commented out)

Set oWS = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
  sLinkFile = "C:\MyShortcut.LNK"
  Set oLink = oWS.CreateShortcut(sLinkFile)
  oLink.TargetPath = "C:\Program Files\MyApp\MyProgram.EXE"
  'oLink.Arguments = ""
  'oLink.Description = "MyProgram"
  'oLink.HotKey = "ALT+CTRL+F"
  'oLink.IconLocation = "C:\Program Files\MyApp\MyProgram.EXE, 2"
  'oLink.WindowStyle = "1"
  'oLink.WorkingDirectory = "C:\Program Files\MyApp"
  oLink.Save