Lightbulbs That Emit Wi-Fi

Monroe

I don't know if this is good or bad ... should be good right ? ... but now you have to wonder if a simple light bulb might be collecting information or spying on you.

Chinese Scientists Invent Lightbulbs That Emit Wi-Fi

October 18, 2013

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/10/chinese-scientists-invent-lightbulbs-that-emit-wi-fi/

Leslie Horn

A group of Chinese scientists at Shanghai’s Fudan University have a bright idea: A lightbulb that produces its own Wi-Fi signal. According to Xinhua, the technology is called Li-Fi, and the prototype actually works better than the average connection in China.

As many as four computers placed near a Li-Fi bulb can connect to the net, using light frequencies rather than the usual radio waves. The bulb is embedded with a microchip that produces a signal, yielding rates as fast as 150 mbps—far faster than typical connection speeds in China, and about three times faster than the speed I’m getting right now. (Seriously, I just did a speed test.)

One of the perks of Li-Fi is that it’s affordable. Have a lightbulb and a Li-Fi kit? Boom—you have internet. Next month, researchers are showing off 10 sample kits at a trade show in China, and the country is moving in a direction that could make Li-Fi a practical and commercially viable asset—especially since, as Xinhua reports, Chinese people are quickly replacing old fashioned incandescent bulbs with LEDs.

Of course, there are still a few technical details—mostly dealing with microchip design and manufacturing—that would need to fall into place before Li-Fi becomes ubiquitous. So for now, Li-Fi remains an experiment with a bright future.

Now I truly have a reason to live in darkness. I could actually see the usage for this, they could spy on their citizens via light bulbs. A reason, why I would not buy these bulbs. In fact some electronic devices can be used as radio device that can both receive and send signals. Also keep in mind, that China has been buying technology rights from other nations.

Edited by ROTS

As you said, news is a bit old but after 1 1/2 years ... wonder how that drone plan is coming along? ... maybe ( with funds available) just launch a satellite ... any country or person can launch their own satellite, can't they??? The "big boys" (countries) can't legally stop someone from doing that, can they? ... of course, I guess they could shoot it down with a missile (by accident of course!) and apologize for it having gone off course.

Even with old news there can be something of value ... that little mention of the Kingdom of Sealand, I think I may have heard about it once but can't say for sure ...

The Register warns that the site (Pirate Bay) once planned to station servers on the Kingdom of Sealand - a fort in the North Sea. A plan that never came to fruition.

Principality of Sealand

The Principality of Sealand is an unrecognised entity, located on HM Fort Roughs, a former Second World War Maunsell Sea Fort in the North Sea 13 kilometres (7 nmi) off the coast of Suffolk, England, United Kingdom.

Since 1967 the facility has been occupied by family and associates of Paddy Roy Bates, who claim that it is an independent sovereign state. Bates seized it from a group of pirate radio broadcasters in 1967 with the intention of setting up his own station at the site. He established Sealand as a nation in 1975 with the writing of a constitution and establishment of other national symbols. Bates moved to mainland Essex when he became elderly, naming his son Michael regent. Bates died in 2012 at the age of 91.

While it has been described as the world's smallest nation, or a micronation, Sealand is not currently officially recognised by any established sovereign state.

... I also think the possibilty of light bulbs that can "spy" may already be in use and that wearing a "tin foil hat" may be our only defense!

... I also think the possibilty of light bulbs that can "spy" may already be in use and that wearing a "tin foil hat" may be our only defense!

Actually no, even (plastic) coffe cups are a security risk :w00t:

http://www.forensicfocus.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=10944/

but we have better than tinfoil materials nowadays:

http://reboot.pro/topic/13177-an-improved-electromagnetical-shielding-device/

jaclaz

Ok, I have been behind the times and am throwing my tin foil hat away after I post this. I will be getting some Velostat as soon as possible. It seems to offer much more protection from what I'm reading.

I particulary like the comment from Steve6375 :

steve6375

where can I buy this Velostat in the UK, I am sick and tired of being abducted by aliens (usually when I am coming back from the pub)?

P.S. Will it prevent the wife from reading my mind too?

Velostat Hat Images

https://www.google.com/search?q=velostat+hat&num=100&safe=off&sa=X&complete=0&hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=q3xuUszJE5HH4AOR9oCQDA&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1020&bih=630

Of course the hat on the attractive girl looks much better than what the men are wearing. It's always like that.

problem is that I saw interview somewhere in 2008 on youtube, which was stream from some american science tv channel

a guy presenting (LIVE !!!) how light is used for giga internet speeds (wireless)

so no, chinese didn't do shit except some cheap ripoff as they usually do
this news is nothing new to world of tech