Difference nLite and MS update?

kljons

Hi, I've tried nLite and have got it to work rather ok. Still learning though.

I started with XP Pro SP2 and integrated SP3. Works ok.

Then I started to integrate updates.

And there is my question :I get a difference in "Installed programs"

If I make a regular update from MS Web I get about 120 entries in " Installed programs" regarding updates.

Then I have downloaded the same updates and integreated them in nLite and made a nLite installation. (Some updates seemed difficult so I didn't integrate them. I made them manually afterwards).When the program runs I can see that it handles update after update, so it looks ok.

But when I look in " Installed programs" after that type of installation I can see only 17 entries regarding updates.

If I go back to MS web after the nLite installation and do a normally update it finds about ten updates that should be applied.

Is this normal? Have the updates been installed but not showing up in "Installed programs"?

I've tried it twice, looks the same, no error messages.

Thanks in advance!

Check the meaning of "integrate" (and compare it with "install" ;).

Seriously :), if the Windows Update service finds "about ten updates" still needed, it would logically mean that "all updates BUT those ten" went through and were integrated successfully.

Most integrated updates will NOT be listed in "Installed programs" for the simple reason that they cannot be UNinstalled (as they were integrated), but a few may show up as well (since, even if integrated, they can be uninstalled).

jaclaz

Slight correction. The updates that show up in add/remove have been run from svcpack with the /n switch (/nobackup). They can not be removed. I use a reg file during install to remove them from add/remove.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00; Remove Updates from add-remove - July 2013[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB898461][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB2564958][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB2570947][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB2603381][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB2661637][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB2686509][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB2698365][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB2736233][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB2779562][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB2803821][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB2820197]

@kljons, go to my updates page at http://xdot.tk/updates.html, and compare your slipstreamed updates against the list there. You should be able to find the 10 that you missed.

Edited by -X-