USB wifi drivers?

Valvados

I have a Alfa N long range with atheros AR9271 chipset and I can't get it installed on windows 98se.

I also have a ralink 3070 i believe or else its 2070 and it doesnt work eithier. If I could get one of these to work then I wont have to install Linux LXLE which I am in the process of downloading at the moment.

With the help of this forum though I was able to revive a Compaq Presario 1200 with 312mb ram which had xpsp3/msword2k3 and the hdd was full wouldn't move. Very slugginh

Now running good and a lot of the 2008-11 programs on 98se and Quake III arena, Warcraft III but I guess I'm going to have to dual boot Linux LXLE to get internet on this thing. I guess both of those games work on Linux but not sure how efficiently on this 8mb voodooFX ghost screen.

Edited by Valvados

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Alfa N long range with atheros AR9271 chipset and I can't get it installed on windows 98se.

I also have a ralink 3070 i believe or else its 2070 and it doesnt work eithier. If I could get one of these to work then I wont have to install Linux LXLE which I am in the process of downloading at the moment.

With the help of this forum though I was able to revive a Compaq Presario 1200 with 312mb ram which had xpsp3/msword2k3 and the hdd was full wouldn't move. Very slugginh

Now running good and a lot of the 2008-11 programs on 98se and Quake III arena, Warcraft III but I guess I'm going to have to dual boot Linux LXLE to get internet on this thing. I guess both of those games work on Linux but not sure how efficiently on this 8mb voodooFX ghost screen.

:hello: Hello Valvados,

I don't know, if there is a Win98 driver for atheros AR9271, ralink 3070 or 2070. You have to search in the web. I don't think that these devices are already discussed here. Sometimes there exist older driver versions for Win98. Ralink driver version 5.0.7.0 have a 2k XP inf (rt2870.inf) 675 KB big. The signature "$Chicago$" is OK, but it must be smaller than 64 KB! Even reducing it to 60 KB by deleting not necessary entries for your device brings only a small chance that it works.

The Compaq Presario 1200 is old and 312MB for XP SP3 is much too little. Probably XP SP1 will work well. Of course the full HDD makes it sluggish, too.

Edited by schwups

The Service Pack doesn't increase the needed memory for running Windows XP. I run Windows XP SP3 on a Pentium III 1 GHz with 256 MB RAM with no problem. When I firstly installed Windows XP on it it only had 128 MB of RAM and there still was no problem.