Editing Controls do not appear CKEditor

I noticed when you go to post a new topic there is no editing controls. Same thing at Neowin. Pretty silly.

Is there a hack we can add to give us the RTE or any kind of editor?

As I previously mentioned, in Firefox 2 the toolbars don't work anymore. The old board worked much better in FF2 in all respects.

Like -X-, I don't see edit controls/tool buttons either--just a bare editbox. No Expand/Collapse Toolbar buttons or Resize thumb; no JS or CSS errors, either. :(

In Opera 10.63 and K-Meleon 1.6b2, however, the two rows of toolbars do appear as expected if javascript is enabled.

Same in QtWeb 3.7.5 after dismissing five scripting error warnings.

Win98se with KernelEx 4.5.2 and Kexstubs. Ad/element blocking disabled.

I noticed when you go to post a new topic there is no editing controls.

What exactly do you mean by this? If we are using the same words, I see editing controls when I create a new topic.

Edit: nm,it's my ad blocker on FF. I'll figure out what script it is later.

Edited by -X-

Like -X-, I don't see edit controls/tool buttons either--just a bare editbox. No Expand/Collapse Toolbar buttons or Resize thumb; no JS or CSS errors, either. :(

Does it look like this?

msfnquickreply_zps9a93ddd9.jpg

Do you have this problem with both the Quick Reply (the reply at the bottom of a thread page) and also the regular Reply (or the More Reply Options button)?

There is a button that makes the toolbar turn into that. It looks like a gear. The purpose of that button, I do not know. Anyways, if you click it, maybe the labels show up. I found the gear picture:

ips_options.png?t=3dd166d83264b9d7b7755b

Also, speaking of the labels. The GUI uses that method of having all the images in one physical PNG file and using coordinates to determine which to display. I do not know the name of this method as I've never learned it! But whatever this method is, maybe it is not supported by your browser as it is a fairly recent "development" I've seen on Websites. The images for the Reply Editor are used from one of these links:

http://www.msfn.org/board/public/js/3rd_party/ckeditor/skins/ips/icons.png

http://www.msfn.org/board/public/style_images/shift/editor/icons.png

:unsure:

As I previously mentioned, in Firefox 2 the toolbars don't work anymore. The old board worked much better in FF2 in all respects.

Hey I just remembered. You couldn't see the PNG files I had put in the alignment thread... I think maybe that's where the problem is!

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163491-align-bbcodes-modification-installed/

> Does it look like this?

No. Just a thin-frame editbox directly under the page-section header. In FF2, Quick Reply looks something like this:

[ Reply to this topic ]

jumper's Photo

[ Post ] [ More Reply Options ]

[ t ]
[digg]
[ / ]
[ R ]
[ sv ]
[ M ]
{#}
/ V \
[ 1 user(s) are reading this topic ]

Opera 10.63 is the same, but with social buttons on one line.

In full edit mode it is the same: no toolbars, no gear button. Also, previewing the post causes the source to get mangled and content lost. :crazy:

In Opera 10.63 today, toolbars do not appear in any reply mode. Also, previewing the post in full edit mode causes the editbox to disappear entirely. :angrym:

PNG graphic sheets have been used by Google for years and work fine in FF2 (also in Netscape 4.7!). PNG files are not the problem, missing toolbars are.

Edit: And when editing in-line, clicking "Save Change" does save the changes but doesn't reload the page or appear to respond in any way. Error console reports:

CKEDITOR is not defined
Source File: http://www.msfn.org/board/public/min/index.php?ipbv=84e6bd1b24bca89cbc1c926a47159e30&charset=iso-8859-1&f=public/js/ipb.js,cache/lang_cache/1/ipb.lang.js,public/js/ips.hovercard.js,public/js/ips.quickpm.js,public/js/ips.textEditor.bbcode.js,public/js/ips.sharelinks.js,public/js/ips.textEditor.js,public/js/ips.topic.js,public/js/ips.rating.js,public/js/ips.like.js

Line: 1187

Edit 2: And in-line editing also mangles the post, in this case removing the empty "code" and surrounding "indent" tags. :(

"Preview post" is now worthless, because what it displays is (too) often not what get posted!

Edit 3: K-Meleon 1.6b2 to the rescue (if I can Save Changes successfully)--inline editing appears to be fully functional with two toolbars that pop up other dialogs as needed.

Edit 4: The gear brings up an Options dialog:

Editor Options                                 x------------------------------------------------[ ] Paste as plain text by default[ ] Clear my saved content                                          [ Ok ]
Edited by jumper