Office 2007 in Windows 2000

AnX

9 minutes ago, win32 said:

You should try replacing riched20.dll in system32 with the one from XP SP3 or win2k USP5.1.

@win32What do you mean replace it with the one from win2k USP5.1?

I already have 5.1, so what am I replacing with what then?

Edited by Dylan Cruz

The extended kernel updates riched20.dll. So extract the contents of the USP 5.1 executable with 7zip, where you'll find riched20.dl_, extract riched20.dll from that and put it in system32.

3 minutes ago, win32 said:

The extended kernel updates riched20.dll. So extract the contents of the USP 5.1 executable with 7zip, where you'll find riched20.dl_, extract riched20.dll from that and put it in system32.

@win32 Okay, that went as expected, but I still get the same OSETUP.DLL error.

I don't know what to tell you. :} I have successfully installed Office 2007 in various win2k configs, including with USP 5.1, HFSLIP 2000 FullPack slipstream, etc.

Do you have .NET 2.0 installed?

Have you tried using fcwin2k instead?

11 minutes ago, win32 said:

I don't know what to tell you. :} I have successfully installed Office 2007 in various win2k configs, including with USP 5.1, HFSLIP 2000 FullPack slipstream, etc.

@win32

Strange.

Yes

I was able to open it up. I'm not sure I need to do there - I don't see any "set compatible registry" setting.

On another note, now that I have KernelEx, things are misbehaving, neither VLC or WMP seems to work - they both keep crashing. I hope this is not normal behavior...

Edited by Dylan Cruz

That's for the chrome tool. for fcwin2k, you do the following:

1. click "refer" next to the "File" field at the top of the window.

2. point it to setup.exe

3. Select "Windows XP" from the "OS Ver" drop-down box

4. Click "CompatSave" then "CompatRun"

As for the stability of the extended kernel, no. If even WMP is broken, you may want to start over.

Edited by win32

1 minute ago, win32 said:

That's for the chrome tool. for fcwin2k, you do the following:

@win2k

Ah, okay. The original instructions mentioned the chrome tool. Does this allow installation of Chrome?

1. click "refer" next to the "File" field at the top of the window.

2. point it to setup.exe

3. Select "Windows XP" from the "OS Ver" drop-down box

4. Click "CompatSave" then "CompatRun"

I do CompatSave and RunCompat, and I get the same exact screen. I see an entry made in the fcwin2k table, but it doesn't seem to affect the error.

No. If even WMP is broken, you may want to start over.

To be fair, I had previously upgraded WMP 6 to WMP 9, because I was trying to get the codec pack to see if MKV files would play (didn't work). So maybe WMP 6 works and 9 does not with KernelEx.

fcwin2k should work just as good for installing Chrome.

WMP 9 definitely works for me, and @blackwingcat has made special versions of WMP10 and 11.

I found this thread, which mentions a possible solution to the osetup.dll error:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_install-mso_other-mso_2007/installing-office-2007-from-a-download-file-fails/cc2f6a2b-4312-454b-b172-a08c01085556

7 minutes ago, win32 said:

fcwin2k should work just as good for installing Chrome.

I didn't try with fcwink2k, but I followed along with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s8u_DaPMDw

and I get that it's not a valid win32 application, whereas it works for him. Seems like my Windows 2000 just doesn't like me...

When I try using fcwin2k, I get the same result.

WMP 9 definitely works for me, and @blackwingcat has made special versions of WMP10 and 11.

I don't really want a super modern WMP, unless somehow file compatibility is improved.

I gave this a look, but this seems to be a different error with the same file. Also, in these cases, it seemed not to work even on Windows 7, whereas I know the exact same install files I am using install seamlessly on XP.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:52 PM, win32 said:

@win32 Where can I get HFSLIP 2000 Fullpack? Looked it up and I can see what it is but I can't find any downloads for it anywhere.

Do I need extended core? I just realized I only had Extended Kernel, not Core. Maybe that's why it failed...

What are the steps to changing the boot screen back to the default if I use Extended Core? The only reason I didn't install that is I don't like the replaced boot screen. You said "You can use resource hacker to change it back to the original boot screen," but which page do I need to go to there? If I remember correctly, changing the XP boot screen is a real pain.

You did say uninstalling Office 2003 and installing 2007 was a "recipe for disaster", so I am prepared to try fresh on a new 2000 install with no 2003 installed, but I want to try to do it right this time.

Thanks!

Tried it and it didn't work either. I couldn't find the Chrome tool but this one ought to have worked.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

@win32 Forgot to ask, does this include Microsoft Office Outlook 2007? Is there any hope of using any Outlook newer than Outlook 2003?

1 hour ago, Dylan Cruz said:

@win32 Where can I get HFSLIP 2000 Fullpack? Looked it up and I can see what it is but I can't find any downloads for it anywhere.

Do I need extended core? I just realized I only had Extended Kernel, not Core. Maybe that's why it failed...

What are the steps to changing the boot screen back to the default if I use Extended Core? The only reason I didn't install that is I don't like the replaced boot screen. You said "You can use resource hacker to change it back to the original boot screen," but which page do I need to go to there? If I remember correctly, changing the XP boot screen is a real pain.

You did say uninstalling Office 2003 and installing 2007 was a "recipe for disaster", so I am prepared to try fresh on a new 2000 install with no 2003 installed, but I want to try to do it right this time.

Thanks!

Tried it and it didn't work either. I couldn't find the Chrome tool but this one ought to have worked.

Go here (https://mega.nz/#F!2lBVBBLI!WqmqhpxuX0qyCY1LiX4-gw) where you will find an "HFSLIP" and then "FullPack" folder. Download the 7z file in the second folder.

N.B. use nLite on your win2k source before HFSLIP, or else you will be in for even more pain.

No, you only need extended core if you need to use incompatible XP drivers, > 4 GB of RAM and/or more than 2 CPU threads.

Offhand, you can just go to the bitmaps of ntoskrnl.exe, find the boot screen for your version of win2k, then open up a copy of the original ntoskrnl.exe, export the bitmap from the original, then paste it into the modified one. It's a lot easier than for XP because it doesn't use a weird custom color palette.

Of course, you will need to replace the file from another OS.

Edited by win32

1 hour ago, Dylan Cruz said:

@win32 Forgot to ask, does this include Microsoft Office Outlook 2007? Is there any hope of using any Outlook newer than Outlook 2003?

I do not believe that there have been recent tests of Outlook with the newer extended kernels, complete with the XP-compatible winsock. So it may work now.

1 hour ago, win32 said:

Go here (https://mega.nz/#F!2lBVBBLI!WqmqhpxuX0qyCY1LiX4-gw) where you will find an "HFSLIP" and then "FullPack" folder. Download the 7z file in the second folder.

N.B. use nLite on your win2k source before HFSLIP, or else you will be in for even more pain.

nLite? Isn't that for XP for removing parts of the OS before install?

https://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

What am I removing from Windows 2000? Or am I just using this to inject HFSLIP into the OS before installing it?

My understanding then is:

1. Use nLite to slipstream HFSLIP into W2K
  2. Install W2K and then install USP 5.1
  3. Install the latest KernelEx
  4. Install Office 2007 using FCWIN2K
1 hour ago, win32 said:

No, you only need extended core if you need to use incompatible XP drivers, > 4 GB of RAM and/or more than 2 CPU threads.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I guess I wasn't missing out, and W2K is so slim on resources that >4GB of RAM is not really necessary as it may be with XP or newer versions of Windows.

1 hour ago, win32 said:

Offhand, you can just go to the bitmaps of ntoskrnl.exe, find the boot screen for your version of win2k, then open up a copy of the original ntoskrnl.exe, export the bitmap from the original, then paste it into the modified one. It's a lot easier than for XP because it doesn't use a weird custom color palette.

Of course, you will need to replace the file from another OS.

34 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

nLite? Isn't that for XP for removing parts of the OS before install?

https://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

What am I removing from Windows 2000? Or am I just using this to inject HFSLIP into the OS before installing it?

My understanding then is:

1. Use nLite to slipstream HFSLIP into W2K
  2. Install W2K and then install USP 5.1
  3. Install the latest KernelEx
  4. Install Office 2007 using FCWIN2K

I'm sorry for all of the confusion I'm creating, but I only brought up nLite because I assumed that you wanted to integrate AHCI drivers (because F6 can be a pain on anything without a floppy drive).

HFSLIP is its own command line application. I need a refresher for the exact procedure of operation, but the readme should explain the most basic instructions.

You will not need USP 5.1 with the HFSLIP 2000 FullPack integrated.