Adobe photoshop contains spy measures

FthrJACK

It was announced today by Adobe, Inc. that the upgrade to Photoshop 6.1 and Photoshop 7 added a special devices that 'phones home' the registration number and collected computer data to create a unique # (similar to what is found in Windows XP). Obviously, this was a move to collect a list of its pirated software. Adobe has been compiling the list since the release of their free 6.1 upgrade last July. CNN reports that the list has been sent to the FBI, more here:

Adobe Systems, Inc, makers of the popular computer graphics program Photoshop, announced on Friday that they have compiled and submitted a list of more than 25,000 Internet Protocol (IP) addresses with duplicate serial numbers for versions six and seven of their product. A spokesman from Adobe says "We installed what is called a 'callback' on Photoshop to try and curb piracy. It essentially sends installation information to our servers upon first use." The FBI plans to work with national and local Internet Service Providers (ISP) to find and convict those responsible. The software is reported to only phone home once, while your pc is idle.however, people running a firewall will obviouxly get an alert and can block the software from reporting back to adobe. i dont believe for a minute that the fbi will be raiding peoples homes who are running pirate versions of photoshop, this would make them unpopular and cost too much, but they will try to target people distributing it.:eek:

Did you know, ADOBE wasnt some huge corporate organisation when it first started, but a group of programming nerds who saw a nieche and started selling thier programs, the company is run very differently from large corporations such as IBM even today. A few years ago they cellebrated huge profits by the whole staff from the directors down having a huge water fight using waste paper bins and anything that came to hand, something i doubt you would ever see at intel or IBM.... :)

Guys i think you'll find the story is probably a fake.It's already been removed from a lot of source sites.

I find it hard to believe a company would openly advertise their anti-piracy intentions.It's just scare mongering on a grand scale.

In any case just use your firewalls to block their server access.

fireworks images are not as high quality as photoshop images, though i havent tried the mx version, fireworks is excellent for buttons and website icons and stuff like that, quick and easy to use. for a logo i would use photoshop or freehand