Windows 2000 Overclock 5.2GHz

@tomasz86

I’ve noticed that Windows 2000 limits the size of my pagefile to 4092MB (even as it suggests a higher number). Does PAE affect the maximum pagefile size? In other words, in a setup like you show in post #7, is your pagefile size limit still 4GB?

It seems to be possible in Windows 2003 but not in Windows 2000. You can create multiple pagefiles though:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237740

• 3 weeks later...

So just how stable is Windows 2000 with PAE enabled? Will it work well with 8 gb of RAM? I only thought Server Datacenter Edition supported PAE mode.

If I boot a 4 gb system without PAE, and then run a browser and mail app; then I boot an equivalent system with PAE and 8 gb of RAM (using the same apps), will there be a performance hit?

It seems to have a slight issue if you use an onboard Intel graphics controller as it takes away your colors and resolution and leaves you with 640x480x16.

Sounds like the driver failed to load and thus Windows 2000 went to the usual dreaded fallback graphics driver.

• 2 weeks later...

...there is no W2K AHCI SATA driver available for the Z77. [...] Therefore I am using IDE mode. [...] The Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)

IDE mode slows down a machine a lot, for it lacks NCQ. Did you try BlackWingCat's Ahci drivers? They're perfect on my older P45, and I believe some editions are meant for the Z77. Just put on an F6 floppy the contents of the folder that has Oemsetup.txt.

Some motherboards add a Sata host on a Pci-E, and for instance JMicron has W2k drivers for the J363 and others. Gigabyte renames the host, something like Gigaraid. Though, the JMicron host is by far not as good as Intel's, and adds its delay in the Bios before booting W2k. Silicon Image had an excellent SiI3124 (Sata/3000 with NCQ and W2k drivers) but it's for the Pci, and I have not tried their Pci-E chips; with the "base" microcode (=non-raid) the SiI3124 delays booting very little.

InfInst is officially meant for W2k as well, even on recent chipsets, but it does not configure the disk host.