Permissons and file sharing on Win2k

Asp

What I want to do is share files between a PC (Win2k), laptops (XP and Ubuntu) and smartphones (Android) on my LAN. Devices I have fixed local IPs for, but not anyone else.

If I "share" a folder in Win2k, who can access it? Anyone who knows my IP?

How do I restrict it to local devices, say specific IPs on my LAN? (192.168.11.*)?

If I look at the "share permissions" I can choose "Everyone" which seems a bad idea, or various "users". But how do I define these "users" as above?

Edited by Asp

It's easy to share files in networked machines, both Windows and Linux. You have to set it up in each OS separately, e.g. in Linux you can create an exclusive owner for NTFS partitions in fstab, and that will restrict all other users. Otherwise Windows permissions are ignored by Linux OSes.

It's easy to share files in networked machines, both Windows and Linux. You have to set it up in each OS separately, e.g. in Linux you can create an exclusive owner for NTFS partitions in fstab, and that will restrict all other users. Otherwise Windows permissions are ignored by Linux OSes.

I need a more detailed how-to than that, I'm afraid.

In particular, how do I specify exactly who can access a share?

Router?

- WAN = ISP-assigned IP address

- LAN = Internally-assigned IP address

- Routing = WAN->LAN / LAN->WAN (via NAT)

"Outside" (WAN) access will be disallowed within its setup (usually) by default unless you open the specific ports to the specific Internal (LAN) IP. Nobody can "see" it/them or access it/them unless you specifically allow it.

Internally you (basically) need the following setup (go to post#3)

Additional topics with specifics/generics -

Linux OS uses (AFAIK) "SAMBA".

For Android, google this

file sharing android windows

Looks like you'll need an "App" (cough-cough).

HTH

Edited by submix8c