NT/2K problems with AHCI?

I have a CF card setup to boot 2K and another that can boot NT3.51/NT4/98. And I now have a newish laptop with SATA/AHCI on which I created a FAT32 partition. I booted a win98 floppy disk image using PXE (that's how I formatted the partition as FAT32, using the WinME FDISK which shows horribly incorrect numbers but works never the less) and used SYS on the new partition. So it has the option to boot to a win98 command prompt now. I didn't try booting the full win98 because I didn't want to sit through hours of "installing new hardware" or whatever. I tried to copy NT4 and 2K installs to the drive and make those bootable but it resulted in a blue screen with "inaccessible boot device" even after editing the MountedDevices in the registry. This sort of thing is tricky to begin with, but I am wondering if the whole AHCI business would stand in the way of these OS from working? All my other computers have been PATA/IDE.

There are two "main" issues with your approach:

1. "moving" a NT or 2K to new hardware is - while doable - NOT easy (and the "source" needs to be "prepared"), installing them from scratch would most probably be less complex and conversely faster (and you still may have issues with the drivers in the sense that you have to find the appropriate drivers for that "newish laptop" for NT and 2K)
  2. what you are experiencing is a "normal" 0x0000007b STOP ERROR caused by the lack of an appropriate SATA/AHCI driver, but apart from it do NOT assume that other "base" drivers such as chipset and video drivers will be "easy-peasy" (still in the case of "adapting an existing install to new hardware)

To get further help it is essential that you post the specification of the given "newish laptop".

For NT, if the hardware is compatible with UNIVBE and UNIATA, then you may have a chance, otherwise finding a set of appropriate drivers for a "newish" latop are very, very low.

For 2K, if the hardware is compatible with UNIVBE and UNIATA, then you may have a chance, otherwise finding a set of appropriate drivers for a "newish" latop are - though a bit higher than with NT, still very low.

jaclaz

This is my personal take on that plan. I would NEVER move a Windows installation from a computer to a different computer. I've done it before, mainly because I popped in a spare drive I had to a computer and with my curiosity, wanted to see what was on it. I did this with Windows XP before and you're more likely to run into major issues down the road with moved installations. I don't even recommend doing that with any OS, not even Windows 95 or 98. I've seen major stability issues doing that. Like jaclaz said, it's doable, but not advisable. Unfortuately, I really can't help you on the actual problem though. There are some computers that allow you to run in IDE mode (which would be ATA/PATA), but some of these do NOT allow you to do that. I did have one laptop that could only run in AHCI mode and so what I went ahead and did was slipstreamed the SATA drivers and nLited them to a new Windows XP CD. But that was with Windows XP, I've never tried it with Windows NT or 2000 let alone Windows 98, so I don't know if that would work or not but you *might* at least want to try doing that. Other than that, I can't really answer your question. :(

Edited by Tommy

So from what you guys are saying, a driver would be needed to get past the BSOD. Laptop has the GS45 chipset and no option provided in the BIOS for IDE mode.

Intel's website is terrible btw, so I am not sure if they provide a driver for 2K or below, but I will wait and see if I run into any programs that refuse to run in Win7. Maybe I can get by without an alternate OS install.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I wouldn't try Intel's site but actually Googling might be more beneficial. I remember when I was tasked with this that I was at a loss myself but I started by putting in the make and model of the laptop since I had no idea what was in it. If you know the chipset, then all you have to do is google the chipset and see if you can find the drivers for it. What kind of computer do you have? You never did state that so maybe we can help you further once we know what you have. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finding drivers using google is not much better, what with all the fraudulent link farm sites that dominate the results :( (been this way for a long time too)

I think this might be something: http://communities.intel.com/thread/27703?wapkw=82801ibm

The linked file appears to have files needed for every Windows version starting from 2K and every Intel chipset starting from 85x.

My machine is a Panasonic Toughbook T8 (Core 2 SU9600)

My machine is a Panasonic Toughbook T8 (Core 2 SU9600)

Not enough data to compute :w00t:

1. T8E (mk1)
  2. T8E (mk1.5)
  3. T8G (mk3)
  4. T8H (mk4)

Assuming a T8E(mk1) you need to get this file (only the XP version is available on the Panasonic site):

"f6fd_8_5_0_1032_d081084.exe"

http://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/public/soft_first/cf-y_w_t_r_f8e_os/f6fd_8_5_0_1032_d081084.exe

Open it with 7-zip, open the file TXTSETUP.OEM and you will find this info:

; iaAHCI.inf

iaAHCI_ESB2 = "Intel® ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller"

iaAHCI_ICH7RDH = "Intel® ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller"

iaAHCI_ICH7MMDH = "Intel® ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller"

iaAHCI_ICH8RDHDO = "Intel® ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller"

iaAHCI_ICH8MEM = "Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"

iaAHCI_ICH9RDODH = "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"

iaAHCI_ICH9MEM = "Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"

iaAHCI_ICH10DDO = "Intel® ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller"

iaAHCI_ICH10R = "Intel® ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller"

; iaStor.inf

iaStor_ESB2 = "Intel® ESB2 SATA RAID Controller"

iaStor_ICH7RDH = "Intel® ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller"

iaStor_ICH7MDH = "Intel® ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller"

iaStor_ICH8RICH9RICH10RDO = "Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller"

iaStor_ICH8MEICH9ME = "Intel® ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller"

So, it is a "generic" INTEL SATA driver.

The actual controller should be a ICH7.

Go to the Intel site, and search for the Windows 2000 "AHCI SATA" drivers:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=10609&ProdId=2101〈=eng&OSVersion=Windows%202000%20%20*&DownloadType=Software%20Archives

You want to get the file:

f6flpy32_57.zip

open with 7-zip, etc. txtsetup.oem:

iaStor_ESB2 = "Intel® ESB2 SATA RAID Controller (Server ESB2)"

iaAHCI_ESB2 = "Intel® ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller (Server ESB2)"

iaStor_ICH7MDH = "Intel® 82801GHM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH7MR/DH)"

iaStor_ICH7DH = "Intel® 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)"

iaAHCI_ICH7R = "Intel® 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)"

iaAHCI_ICH7M = "Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M)"

iaStor_ICH6R = "Intel® 82801FR SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH6R)"

iaAHCI_ICH6R = "Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH6R)"

iaAHCI_ICH6M = "Intel® 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH6M)"

jaclaz

I think it is the last one. It's basically the USA version of the Let's Note T9 but without a slot for FeliCa cards :)

Well, check the manual, look for numebrs on the actual thingy, you need to be sure rather than "thinking".

For the mk4 the driver is seemingly:

http://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/public/soft_first/cf-y_w_t_r_f_s_n8h_os/SATAFloppyConfigUtil_v8.9.0.1023_T8H_XP_ss6784.exe

and the controller is

"ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"

Now, be nice, find the "right" driver for XP on the panasonic site, and post information (like I did) for it, then someone may be able to help you find a corresponding win2K driver.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/computer-support-search-downloads.asp

jaclaz

and the controller is

"ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"

That is correct. Unfortunately, I can't even test whether any of the drivers work with Win2k setup because apparently it expects to load the "F6" driver from an actual floppy drive. It throws an error if there isn't one.

An unexpected error (0) occurred

at line 962 in D:\nt\private\ntos\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

That is correct. Unfortunately, I can't even test whether any of the drivers work with Win2k setup because apparently it expects to load the "F6" driver from an actual floppy drive. It throws an error if there isn't one.

An unexpected error (0) occurred

at line 962 in D:\nt\private\ntos\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

Things should be done with some "order".

First you find a suitable driver.

Then you post info about it (as you were asked).

Then, after having checked that it might do, we will talk about how to load it.

Hints:

You can use grub4dos to map a virtual floppy, see (examples):

http://reboot.pro/topic/13967-install-windows-xp-from-iso-on-ufd-to-sata-hard-disk/

or you can integrate the driver in the source, see:

(2K and XP are not that much different ;))

Possibly also of use:

http://www.tim.id.au/blog/tims-f6-driver-guide/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz