Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 (Retired!)

steven4554

Windows 7 is a non-supported OS! This also means that Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 has been discontinued! 

I recommend that you try Microsoft's new Edge Chromium web browser here and it supports Windows 7*, 8.1 and 10 and the stable version is available for download!

*Edge Chromium for Windows 7 will be supported until July 15, 2021!

Edited by steven4554

good thing for w7 users

shows MS won't abandon it as soon as paranoid people thought :P

Disagree.

There is no downside for Microsoft to allow MSIE 10 on Windows 7, whereas Direct-X and Service Packs can increase the computer useful lifetime to the home user. Also, they probably want to avoid re-creating the situation with lingering MSIE 6 ( or 7 and 8 ) on countless Windows XP computers which does not help their future MSIE 10 usage statistics.

Furthermore, MSIE is often of some actual value to corporate, whereas Direct-X and Service Packs in most scenarios are not. IMHO they are trying to salvage this broad customer group from considering jumping ship off Windows when their various agreements expire because they are unlikely to move to Windows 8 for a very long time. So offering them support for MSIE will convince some of the bean-counters planning no move to 8, that staying on 7 is a sounder and cheaper idea than the riskier move of leaving the Windows platform altogether. Look at it this way ... If MSIE 10 was completely banned from Windows 7 they just might force the hand of corporate decision makers enough to consider the nuclear option of Apple, Linux, even Android. If they lose corporate it is all over but the shouting.

The home user will get no such TLC because their expenditure came and went when they got their copy at computer purchase. They will apparently have the option to use MSIE 10 when it is released, but their value to Microsoft is exactly what it always has been - a large scale beta test force dutifully sending in WER usually without even realizing it. When their computer dies, there will be a new one with Windows 8 waiting for them. Adoption by attrition is the plan as usual. And again, it helps usage statistics.

So I see no act of benevolence here. And abandonment is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

steven4554, thanks for the links. I installed IE10 (x64) on my VM and it looks OK but I tried to inject the cab file with no luck. I got the 800f081e error - "The package is not applicable...". I mounted the image and ran this command with Windows6.1-KB2650043-x64-en-us.cab file in the Cabinet folder:

DISM  /Add-Package /Image:%Mount% /PackagePath:"C:\Users\zz??zz\Desktop\Cabinet"

BTW the file is the same as the IE-Win7.CAB file in the DLed IE10 x64 .exe file. Thanks and enjoy, John.

steven4554, thanks for the links. I installed IE10 (x64) on my VM and it looks OK but I tried to inject the cab file with no luck. I got the 800f081e error - "The package is not applicable...". I mounted the image and ran this command with Windows6.1-KB2650043-x64-en-us.cab file in the Cabinet folder:
DISM /Add-Package /Image:%Mount% /PackagePath:"C:\Users\zz??zz\Desktop\Cabinet"
BTW the file is the same as the IE-Win7.CAB file in the DLed IE10 x64 .exe file. Thanks and enjoy, John.

There are some updates that are needed to be in the offline image before you integrate IE10 into Win7 image

KB2670838 KB2729094-v2 KB2726535 KB2834140-v2 KB2786081

You will find all of them in the Update Lists I make. Edited by steven4554

Thanks steven4554. I have two of them and will DL the other three tomorrow and see it that helps. Strange that Windows Update is not calling for these updates. When I install on VM, WU says no updates (except Malware thing and Win Defender) and MBSA runs clean. BTW IE9 is in the image from a previous SysPref/Capture. Thanks and enjoy, John.

I wonder if there's a way to get it running on Vista? :ph34r:

You can try to replace the files manually after unpacking the installer. I already mentioned in the older topic that a user from Poland had managed to do it with the previous IE 10 Platform Preview.

http://forum.dobreprogramy.pl/dziala-viscie-t460656.html (use a translator)

He basically installed IE10 in Windows 7 and then copied its folder to Vista.

Edited by tomasz86

steven4554, I injected the three missing updates and the IE10 cabinet injected OK. How did you find out about these three: KB2670838, KB2639308 and KB2533623? Searching Windows DL Center and Windows Update Catalog turned up nothing for KB2670838. I found it through a Google search and it is a pre-release. Perhaps KB2670838 is the only one I really need. Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: I did not have any of these three updates when I installed IE10 in W7 in a VM.

EDIT: Hereis where I think you found the update information. It looks like I do not need KB2639308.

MagicAndre1981, ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I am running IE10 on a VM machine without Aero, so it looks a little different for IE9 but just fine to me - certainly not ugly to me. It does seem to work fine and is clearly faster than IE9. Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

steven4554, I injected the three missing updates and the IE10 cabinet injected OK. How did you find out about these three: KB2670838, KB2639308 and KB2533623? Searching Windows DL Center and Windows Update Catalog turned up nothing for KB2670838. I found it through a Google search and it is a pre-release. Perhaps KB2670838 is the only one I really need. Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: I did not have any of these three updates when I installed IE10 in W7 in a VM.

EDIT: Hereis where I think you found the update information. It looks like I do not need KB2639308.

Actually I found the info about the updates, inside the original IE10 Installer. :)

But I didn't know that MS had published a webpage about the required updates for IE10, so I've bookmarked that for the future, and thanks.

Edited by steven4554

steven4554, I injected the three missing updates and the IE10 cabinet injected OK.

johnhc, would you mind telling me which (dism) commands you used for injection?

I did a quick install in a VM (Windows 7 SP1 x64), afterwards there are these new installer entries:

Windows Internet Explorer 10

Internet Explorer 10 de-DE Language Package

Microsoft Windows English Spelling Package

Microsoft Windows German Spelling Package

Microsoft Windows English Hyphenation Package

Microsoft Windows German Hyphenation Package

Plus:

KB2670838

KB2533623

KB2729094

KB2731771

I'm not so familiar with dism-ology, so any tip is appreciated...

Edited by Mikka

DISM  /Add-Package /Image:%Mount% /PackagePath:"C:\Users\zz??zz\Desktop\Cabinet"

steven4554, for more details please see my post #6 above. You also need to mount the install.wim from the sources folder in your install media (DVD). There are several places to get good help on offline processing of Windows Images. Here in the W7 Unattended sub-forum and at WinCert forum (including videos). You will need to DL and install WAIK (Windows Automatic Installation Kit). What are "installer entries" and where do you see them - in Windows Update? I did not see any similar items perhaps because I use exclusively EN-US as was the IE10 installer. Enjoy, John.