Modified SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 for 98SE

I've retested my previous v01, v02, and v03 files. They do NOT have the "not centered" bug on my system. :blink:

I'm reposting a link to my v03. Please retest and see if you all are still getting the "New Hardware not centered" bug...

EDIT:

V03 link removed.

Edited by LoneCrusader

I've retested my previous v01, v02, and v03 files. They do NOT have the "not centered" bug on my system. :blink:

I'm reposting a link to my v03. Please retest and see if you all are still getting the "New Hardware not centered" bug...

What, no testers? :o

Maybe I should just not post the new, final, fixed version? :whistle:

Edited by LoneCrusader

So, did you find out why the wrong icon in Device Manager and why dialogs are not centered? Personally I've had a weird day, can't figure out how I wasted it but somehow managed not to do anything useful. :(

Only thing I found out is that the wrong icon pertains to a Tape device which somehow gets installed by the ME CPL and is found in pnpwprop.dll. Wasn't able to write a single line of code for the CPL reader/editor I intend to build. :(

(ah, these typos...)

Edited by Drugwash

SYSDMCPL.ZIP - V03 - 156.9 Kb

What, no testers? :o

Maybe I should just not post the new, final, fixed version? :whistle:

My system is installing SP3.10 right now. I will have a screenshot for you soon. Also V3 does NOT have the center bug :w00t:

So, did you find out why the wrong icon in Device Manager and why dialogs are not centered? Personally I've had a weird day, can't figure out how I wasted it but somehow managed not to do anything useful. :(

Only thing I found out is that the wrong icon pertains to a Tape device which somehow gets installed by the ME CPL and is found in pnpwprop.dll. Wasn't able to write a single line of code for the CPL reader/editor I intend to build. :(

(ah, these typos...)

My system is installing SP3.10 right now. I will have a screenshot for you soon. Also V3 does NOT have the center bug :w00t:

No, I didn't find the source of the icon problem. :no: But, as it affects all ME versions and is not caused by a Mod, I figure we will address it as a new project, but still within the scope of this discussion and thread.

I have however, after much trial and error, managed to get all of the ME specific items removed and strings fixed. :w00t:

(The story...)

I discovered that my original versions 1-3 modified with eXeScope did not suffer from the "New Hardware not centered" bug. It was only with version 4, when I started using Open Watcom, that the bug appeared.

I opened the original ME HotFix file with Open Watcom and saved it without making ANY changes. Then I compared the original and the saved version with a Hex Editor. Open Watcom added 32 sequential bytes of rubbish, nothing but NULL characters, into the file and changed 222 other bytes (increased all by 2 dec.) that I assume are some type of data "offsets" or "addresses" for the rest of the file. The file now had the "not centered" bug.

I took my v03 and modified ONE single item with Open Watcom (unchecked "Visible" for the "Disable System Restore" option) and saved it. Then I compared that file against my v03 with a Hex Editor. Open Watcom had added 16 bytes of rubbish this time, along with the "offset" changes, but I was able to figure out which 2 bytes had been changed that were important.

I returned to my v03, and used the Hex Editor to change ONLY those two bytes. This file worked properly, with the "Disable" option hidden, and no "not centered" bug.

I repeated this process, changing things with Open Watcom; comparing the changes against the file modified directly with a Hex Editor; figuring out what bytes were relevant; and then applying them to the Hex Edited file.

It took a while, but I now have all of the ME options hidden, all of the ME strings changed to 98, and no errors caused by modding that I am aware of.

This file should be tested thoroughly as well though.

SYSDMCPL.ZIP - V06

Edited by LoneCrusader

I figured you'd do something like that. I'd do it too, if I weren't so stubborn in making a tool that can do it without introducing bugs. Open Watcom may be open source, but it's way too much code to analyze and find the proper place(s) to fix, so I'd rather build my own limited-purpose tool from scratch.

It's incredible how Microsoft hid away all the information regarding older files (such as the segmented executables - the 16 bit NE that SYSDM.CPL is part of). The page can only be found through Wayback Machine. And there is very, very much similar information that has been (and is being) removed from the Internet, leaving us with no source of information whatsoever, other than what we managed to save locally on our own storage devices. :(

Oh I know... and somehow I managed to bring back the correct icons, but only by doing some chaotic moves. Can't even remember all of them!

I know first thing was to delete the registry keys that deal with tape drives/tape controller/etc. HKLM\Enum\Tape*. Then HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Tape* (there were three of them).

Then I removed (backed them up previously) a bunch of VXDs from C:\Windows\System\VMM32, specifically those that were already present in VMM32.VXD (the whole list of files that are bundled with VMM32.VXD can be found in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VMM32Files). Dunno if this was really necessary, but since it's related to the Tape drivers, it may have helped.

Then, upon reboot, the Device Manager redetected the TapeDetection category with two subitems of the same name. Looking in driver details, I noticed both of them had the same driver, namely DRVWQ117.VXD. On a whim, I started a driver update, chose manual update > Show all hardware and chose the simple TapeDetection driver (not the one dated 4-23-1999, but the one with no date).

Did that for both TapeDetection items. I noticed one of them got a different driver than it had previously, namely DRVWPPQT.VXD. Then, I did the same for the USB controllers (in my case, SiS7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller). Surprisingly, the USB icons came back from where they were hiding. :D

Now, I didn't place the VXD files back in the VMM32 folder. If anything, I'll do that, see if icons remain correct and there's no other new issue, then will try to combine the VXD files into VMM32.VXD. The information on how to do this can be found - guess what!? - through Wayback Machine, of course! Here is the link to old Infinisource page.

Needless to say, do all this with extreme caution, on a test/virtual machine, not like me. :)

EDIT:

Added back the VXDs, all seems fine, icons are still in place. Just that there's only one entry for TapeDetection in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class. I vaguely recall about a modification done by someone to remove tape detection and other supposedly useless stuff, for a faster boot. But can't remember what exactly was all about.

Edited by Drugwash

Here is the screenshot of the icon changed

Looks like it's setupapi.dll icon 19 that's printed over setupapi.dll icon 20 (the USB icon) for some reason. All icons in System Properties seem to come from that dll.

Edited by loblo

I figured you'd do something like that. I'd do it too, if I weren't so stubborn in making a tool that can do it without introducing bugs. Open Watcom may be open source, but it's way too much code to analyze and find the proper place(s) to fix, so I'd rather build my own limited-purpose tool from scratch.

It's incredible how Microsoft hid away all the information regarding older files (such as the segmented executables - the 16 bit NE that SYSDM.CPL is part of). The page can only be found through Wayback Machine. And there is very, very much similar information that has been (and is being) removed from the Internet, leaving us with no source of information whatsoever, other than what we managed to save locally on our own storage devices. :(

Yes, far too much information has already been lost.

For the record, the old Borland Resource Workshop 4.5 can be used on many of the older type files, but it crashes when trying to load SYSDM.CPL. :}

I have no programming experience, so writing my own tool would be out of the question, lol.

Here is the screenshot of the icon changed

That's not the Tape Device icon. Where on earth did this one come from? Gosh, weirdness!

Really weird. It happens with all SYSDM.CPL from WinME.

Looks like it's setupapi.dll icon 19 that's printed over setupapi.dll icon 20 (the USB icon) for some reason. All icons in System Properties seem to come from that dll.

:blink:

Never seen anything like that before. Only the Tape Device icon on my system.

The only place I've seen that Icon (19 in SETUPX.DLL as well) associated with USB is under Windows 95. Windows 95 does not contain a USB Icon or SETUPAPI.DLL by default, so it defaults to Icon 19 instead of Icon 20.

HKLM\Enum\Tape*. Then HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Tape* (there were three of them).

TapeDetection

I think we should examine the .INF's for Tape Detection and USB2 to see if something "similar" is being set for these devices that might cause overlap... :unsure:

...or maybe that's a dumb idea... if INF's are causing it it SHOULD be present with the 98SE version... :huh:

Edited by LoneCrusader

I don't think the inf files has anything to do with it. It only appears when you replace the CPL file.

Not exactly.

On my main 98SE machine, I've replaced the original CPL with a few interim versions while working on getting a stable one and currently there's neither a TapeDetection branch in Device Manager, nor wrong icons for the two USB controllers, even after reboot(s). However, I have not removed the USB devices and controllers from Device Manager to have them redetected upon reboot, therefore I can only speculate that this detection that is being performed after deleting USB devices, will also add TapeDetection branch, with the wrong driver for one of the subitems and the wrong icons for the USB controllers.

I'm not gonna verify this theory on my main system though, as I have a whole lot of USB devices installed, including the Bluetooth that took me a long time to figure out which drivers to install.

@LoneCrusader: The icon you see in PROBLEMCHYLD's screenshot will only appear if you manually delete the Tape-related branches in the registry at the places I've mentioned above. In the beginning there were the regular Tape icons for the USB controllers, on my test machine; after I deleted those registry keys, the icons changed to the one shown in PROBLEMCHYLD's screenshot. They can be brought back to normal by following the procedure detailed in my post above - at least I did it succesfully.

Edited by Drugwash