Opera v10.6 <audio> playback doesn't work on 9x?

osRe

Does anyone get Opera v10.6 to play <audio> tags correctly? I can see the player controls, but it doesn't play. I think it may be a problem with its playback libraries (gstreamer), as audio.canPlayType() returns empty for standard MIME types (like "audio/ogg" or "audio/wav") instead of "maybe" or "probably". Anyone get it to play audio?

Yes, although not intentionally. Opera runs in the default compatibility mode which I have set to 0/DCFG1/"Default mode".

When I choose "Disable KernelEx extensions" for Opera, support for the <source> element is lost (the audio controls still appear). Any KernelEx compatibility mode enables it. The ogg clip plays as expected; the mp3 source fails in a way that correctly falls through to the ogg source (when followed by the ogg source), but does not display the error message (when no alternate source is provided).

I also have Kexstubs and some other non-standard KernelEx extensions installed. I've been attempting to narrow down the exact dependency.

Opera also works best with the Msimg32.dll from WinME.

Edit: level of support

Edit2: The problem seems to be gstreamer. gstreamer.dll and its plugins are linked for subsystem=5.0, so won't load on Win9x without the help of KernelEx. The plugin dlls are also in cascading subfolders instead of in the app directory, so perhaps can't even be found.

Later tonight I will try patching the subsystem values of these dlls and placing them directly in the Opera folder.

Edited by jumper

gstreamer.dll will load if the subsystem is patched, but the rest of the plugins won't load and Opera hangs as a result. There must be missing delay-load functions.

KernelEx is required for Opera 10.6x HTML5 video and audio at this time.

Interesting that the subsystem change helps only partially. It might be possible to replace to an older version of gstreamer, but on a quick search I couldn't find binaries.

Can KernelEx report what functions of it were used at a given time?

What does msimg32.dll help with, transparency? Is it a simple DLL replace or does it require KernelEx?

msimg32.dll fixes the ugly transparency mask problems with graphics and icons. msimg32.dll does not exist by default, so it is not a replacement. All you need to do is copy the file to your system folder. KenerlEx is not needed.

>Interesting that the subsystem change helps only partially. It might be possible to replace to an older version of gstreamer, but on a quick search I couldn't find binaries.

It seems to have been Linux-only until recently. Source code is available going back ten years, so we might be able to port it to (or recompile it for) Win9x.

>Can KernelEx report what functions of it were used at a given time?

The standard version cannot, but Kexstubs can. I'm working a way to redirect more KernelEx support through Kexstubs for easier debugging without requiring a special version of KernelEx.

>What does msimg32.dll help with, transparency? Is it a simple DLL replace or does it require KernelEx?

I think so. Opera usually prompts Win9x users to upgrade msimg32.dll to the WinMe version. Yes, it's just a simple DLL replace; or KernelEx will provide an updated version. Either way will work. :)

@Foxbat: Win98se comes with version 5.00.1693.1 of Msimg32.dll. In my experience, the WinMe version fixes nothing but the warning message--transparencies still don't work. Perhaps my various video adapters have been the limiting factor....

@Foxbat: Win98se comes with version 5.00.1693.1 of Msimg32.dll. In my experience, the WinMe version fixes nothing but the warning message--transparencies still don't work. Perhaps my various video adapters have been the limiting factor....

My apolgies. I completely forgot that an older Msimg32.dll already exist as I use bat files to do the replacing for me (I must be getting spoiled). I use the updated dll with modified Opera themes.

Source code is available going back ten years, so we might be able to port it to (or recompile it for) Win9x.
I suppose, but that's too much trouble right now. :) Even though it might just compile without a hitch.