HDD SMART tool(s) for win98 ?

TmEE

I've deleted the file from SYSTEM, no consequences from that have happened.

The OS is Win98SE, both machines got the SP3.x on them so that's where the ME file came from (I certainly did not put them there myself, and its the only update pack on the server machine).

I've deleted the file from SYSTEM, no consequences from that have happened.

The OS is Win98SE, both machines got the SP3.x on them so that's where the ME file came from (I certainly did not put them there myself, and its the only update pack on the server machine).

The WinME version comes from MDGx IOSYS98. The Win98 version you had, I don't know how that got there because SP3.x deletes it by default. It may have been some of the software you installed. This was an original finding from Gape.

The WinME version comes from MDGx IOSYS98. The Win98 version you had, I don't know how that got there because SP3.x deletes it by default. It may have been some of the software you installed. This was an original finding from Gape.

So that WinME version of SMARTVSD.VXD is okay after all on Win98se? Good to know. I wasn't sure at all.

I have noticed that many of these HDD utilities come with a copy of some version of SMARTVSD.VXD within the installer, and whatever it is I stick into the private folder that the program lives. Presumably these programs are smart enough ( pardon the pun :lol: ) to import from a localized file.

Seemingly still open question:

What about Victoria (for windows)?

and already pointed out by loblo here.

Maybe you can have a "compromise", using two utilities for different disks....

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I'll give Victoria a whirl when I get home, perhaps it can break through the SCSI barrier !

EDIT: After fiddling around with the settings in Victoria, I got it to give me SMART status from the drives behind the FT66. It is a pretty dangerous program, it messes with the drives directly and when it does not find what it expects you will freeze the machine.

Edited by TmEE