Three questions: QuickTime Player, WMP plug-in, and SSE2

vipejc

1. The minimum system requirement for Firefox 14 is a Pentium 4 or newer CPU that supports the SSE2 instruction set; then why can my CPU that only supports the SSE instruction set run Firefox 14 just fine? And what if any limitations will I face?

2. Why does QuickTime Player plug-in 7.7.2 play videos without audio in Firefox 14 or Internet Explorer 8? QT 7.7 claims to natively support many audio and video codecs. Does that mean QT 7.7 supports many audio and video codecs and they are included with QT 7.7; or QT 7.7 natively supports many audio and video codecs, but you need to install the third-party codecs you need, or QT 7.7 can't play audio or video in those file formats?

3. Why does the Windows Media Player plug-in "mswmp.dll" not work in Firefox 14?

Note: both the QT and WMP plug-in are enabled and I followed the Firefox troubleshooting steps. Also, the QT plug-in crashes in Firefox 14 about ninety-five percent of the time!

1 - SSE. Description (links to others) Depends on what you're doing, I guess.

2 - Options to "allow" or "not allow" - checked those? QT and WMP will only play "supported" and other codecs may be needed (e.g. K-Lite).

3 - No clue - Never got WMP to work in FF so gave up and use QT instead. BTW, do you mean "np-mswmp.dll" (see this)?

side not - I stopped at FF 3.6.28, only install up to FF 11 on relative's PC's as the later ones don't support many plugins (especially FB). In addition, I stopped at QT 7.66.71.0 as it seems to be stable in both FF-11 and IE8 (which I also install on relatives). They really know how to jump ahead, don't they?

Yes, I meant "ns-mswmp.dll." The problem was QT 7.7. QT 7.6 the standalone executable and plug-in have audio. All the settings are the same. Must be a bug.

Edited by vipejc