[DISCONTINUED] Drivers to add to USP5.2's driver.cab

tomasz86

This project has been discontinued.

Please check the Unofficial SP 5.2 for Windows 2000 thread for more information.

Could everyone using Win2k list their hardware for which you must install drivers manually? I'm going to add some drivers to the driver.cab in USP5.2 so that they will be automatically installed by the system

:) As you know there are millions of drivers floating around :lol: so I'd like to start with the ones that are really used by you instead of integrating random ones.

Below is a list of drivers to be integrated. The list will be updated successively.

• AMD AHCI/RAID
    AMD Display
    AMD Filter
    AMD SMBus
    HP Smart Array P600,P400,P400i,E200,E200i
    LSI Logic 3042E
    nVIDIA Display 306.81
    Realtek HD Audio
    Realtek 10/100/1000 PCI-E NIC Family
    Rosewill RC-212 SATA
    SoundBlaster Live 24-bit

The ones written in bold are available to download separately here.

Edited by tomasz86

While I personally only use Windows 2000 within virtual machines these days, I'd suggest including the CPU, Chipset, Mass Storage, LAN and WLAN drivers from the DriverPacks archive.

The May 2008 versions (W2K support after this gets a bit dodgy) of these 5 packs only amount to 33.5 MB. Sound and Video drivers take up far larger amounts of space but unlike the 5 groups I nominated they are not necessary to getting a system running and online and hence can easily be added later.

Perhaps you might want to consider adding VM drivers as well?

Thank you for expressing your opinion. I agree 100% with you and I'm going to focus on (W)LAN drivers first because they are critically important and not very difficult to integrate too (and most manufacturers still officially support Win2k even in the newest releases of their drivers). Mass Storage drivers are also critical but there's one very important issue - if the system detects the controller wrongly and applies an improper driver then the system won't boot. This seems to apply to the AMD SATA drivers which are available in many different versions. Once I tried to integrate two of them in the same Win2k source and the system applied them wrongly so there was a BSOD on boot. Still integrating at least some of the Mass Storage drivers is a "must" so I'm going to integrate them but I'll be very careful when doing it.

Some drivers can be integrated without any changes but I've checked some others, ex. the drivers for Matrox G* cards and there were many useless files there together with the proper system files. I'm going to remove all of such files because they are not required to make the drivers work and only take space in the driver.cab. What I mean is that I don't think anyone needs explanatory *.PDF or *.TXT files to be installed with the drivers, right? ;) Such files are normally installed when you add Matrox drivers to the system.

Adding VM drivers sounds very interesting. Have you got any specific drivers in mind? I use VirtualBox myself so I can try to add the ones for it but I've got no clue about the drivers for other VMs.

VirtualBox is obviously the big one, but there's also VMware Server 1.0.10 (and other VMware products) and Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 (and other Microsoft products).

However one concern is will drivers for one version of these VMs work for different versions (by this I mean will drivers for VirtualBox 3.0.14 work on VirtualBox 4.1.18)

If they aren't compatible across versions then there's not really any point including them as they'll quickly go obsolete.

That's a potential problem. It is possible to include different versions of the same driver (by renaming the files & modifying the INF files accordingly) but then the question is whether the OS will be able to apply them correctly. It would probably have to be tested under different version of VBox and other VMs.

• 2 months later...

I have updated the first post and added a list of drivers which I can say for sure that they will be integrated. At the moment the majority of them are the ones which I have already tested on my system so I'm 100% sure that they can be integrated and work 100% properly. Of course this is only the beginning and more drivers are going to be added later. If anyone has got any special requests then please tell me in advance.

I've also done more testing regarding VirtualBox and I don't think that it will be possible to add VBox drivers in several different versions simply because all of them share the same Hardware ID so the system won't be able to distinguish between them. Unfortunately the drivers are not inter-compatible so the new ones won't work properly in an older version of VBox. I can add the drivers to USP5.1 but they wouldn't be automatically installed, just included inside it so anyone interested would be able to install them manually.

• 2 months later...

I think that it might be useful to add drivers for mobile phones / tablets of several main manufacturers, i.e. Samsung, Nokia, LG, HTC, Apple, etc. They don't take a lot of space and come in very handy when you need to connect your phone or tablet to the computer. Also some of the new driver installers themselves may not support Win2k any more so installing those drivers in a normal way will be a real pain. If they're integrated in the system then everything will be detected and installed automatically.

Edited by tomasz86

I really don't own any mobile device except an iPod touch, but I think that would be a good idea since mostly everything requires XP by default these days in order to work.

I don't even know how I missed this thread in general, but I can list some of the drivers I have to install manually.

nVIDIA GeForce 8600GT

SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Realtek HD Integrated Audio

Intel 825xx 10/100 Platform Network adapter

• 4 weeks later...

@tomasz

Hi Tom

I´m using and enjoying my genuine copy of W2K ITA on a Laptop/Notebook/UltraBook (?) relatively old, Acer Aspire 4320

( Information Technology have a faster than light built-in obsolescence :D ) that officially (LOL) it coudn't support win 2000 [XP only, as oldest MS O.S. supported].

Drivers are downloadable at ACER site but here is the list of the links

Chipset_Intel_8.3.0.1014_XPx86.zip CHIPSET

AHCI_Intel_7.5.3.1001_XPx86.zip {I'M USING A MODIFIED VERSION} (as all the win2000 fans-experts- well know)

WLAN_Atheros_5.3.0.56XPx86.zip {IT WORK WITH W2K} NETWORK CARD (wireless)

Lan_Broadcom_10.26.0.0_XPx86.zip {IT WORK WITH W2K} NETWORK CARD (cable)

VGA_Intel_6.14.10.4837_XPx86.zip {IT WORK WITH W2K} GRAPHIC CARD

Modem_Foxconn_2.1.77.9_XPx86.zip {IT WORK WITH W2K} MODEM

Bluetooth_Foxconn_5.1.0.3300_XPx86.zip {IT WORK WITH W2K} BLUETOOTH

Cardreader_Ricoh_3.51.01_XPx86.zip {IT ONLY PARTIALLY WORK WITH W2K} MEMORYSTICK - XD-PICTURE - SDMMC

Consumer_InfraRed_Winbond_7.1.64.1010_XPx86.zip {IT WORK WITH W2K} CONSUMER INFRARED DEVICE CONTROLLER

Audio_Intel_5.10.1.5423_XPx86.zip {IT WORK WITH W2K} AUDIO CARD

Thanks and regards,

hackeronte

• 3 weeks later...