Anyone know how to stop this WU nag appearing?

I am doing an unattended install for Windows XP Professional.

I have already slipstreamed every hotifix with nLite, then at first login it installs the odd ones nLite cannot slipstream.

It also installs the "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" at first login using the following switches which do work...

/wuforce /silent /norestart

This works because when I try to manually install the Windows Update Agent after this, it tells me its already installed.

The problem is I am still missing something else because when I visit Windows Update it says...

Tkzja.png

Does anyone know of an addon for nLite that fixes this?

I even tried adding the files to $OEM$\$$\system32 but that doesn't work.

it seems to add the files wuauclt.exe and wuaueng.dll among others.

I am sure the addon used to be called wucab or it was something to do with cab files.

Really I just want an addon, thats the simplest way.

I know its possible because when I use an addon pack (completely updates Windows) this message never appears on Windows Update so there is some way to do this with an addon.

Thanks in advance, there is always an answer here. :)

Are you sure you're using a recent WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe? The Windows Update site requires that the installed files are at least v7.4.7600.226 which can be downloaded from KB949104. The latest version (v7.6.7600.243) can be downloaded from KB2607070.

Edited by 5eraph

nah but now I have a newer file I will just install it on first login.

I just didn't realize the files I need are indeed in the Windows Update Agent 3.0 - I thought this WU message referred to a different thing.

Cheers 5eraph I don't know how you remember all this stuff :P

After all, the 2012 file you linked to has the exact same file name as the 2009 one.

Yes I was using a much older version...

wuagentreplace.png

Edited by LeveL2

After all, the 2012 file you linked to has the exact same file name as the 2009 one.

You need to get used to MS naming conventions :ph34r: .

My guess is that they use a "random filename generator" and when it is broken (quite often, as it is coded in Silverlight, using the MS SQL database as backbone and Outlook Express to send back an e-mail with the generated name ;)), they simply re-use an already available name.

Compare with post #12 here:

http://reboot.pro/966/

http://reboot.pro/966/#entry7811

jaclaz

I would HOPE that the "newer" one will work on your OS... It specifically states Windows 7....

At first glance the INF indicates it does...

edit - OMG!!! The LINK I gave is for CREATING an Add-On that uses... THAT FILE!!!!

There ya go!!!! Your welcome. ;)

Edited by submix8c

Your link is useful, submix8c, but all he said he needed was the installation file. KB2607070 works with XP x86/x64; OnePiece, ricktendo64, user_hidden and I have been using it in our update packs since December.

Your link is useful, submix8c, but all he said he needed was the installation file. KB2607070 works with XP x86/x64; OnePiece, ricktendo64, user_hidden and I have been using it in our update packs since December.

Just as a side note - it works in Windows 2000 too.

Maybe it even works in Windows 98 lol. Thats 2000 to 7 it works on then, hehe.

Yes it does work, I tested. I get the "Express" button to update straight away cheers for answering this 5eraph.