Alternate suggestions for Bat 2 Exe?

As a favor for another user, I'm looking for some suggestions of programs that any of you have used to encrypt or hide the contents of a batch CMD script but still have it operate with a simple click for the convenience of the user.

I know of Bat To Exe Converter - http://download.cnet.com/Bat-To-Exe-Converter/3000-2069_4-10555897.html - but I'm looking for possible alternatives. The reason is that I have heard of the following problem that is blamed on it:

The batch is run through Bat To Exe Converter on a Win7 machine on a disc using AHCI mode. When the app is distributed, some people running XP have the following error during execution -- "XYZ.exe" is not a valid Win32 Application. -- So far, the only reason that we can come up with is some kind of incompatibility with XP that is created by Bat To Exe Converter since the app works flawlessly on Win7.

So any suggestions of alternate applications to try would be appreciated, or suggestions of what in the conversion process that could be causing the incompatibility that creates that error.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Cheers and Regards

Perhaps it related to the OS being a x64 or a x86.

As for a workaround, you could try something like this in autoit:

fileinstall("full_path_to_your_batch_script_before_compilation",@scriptdir & "\filename_of_your_batch",1)
runwait(@ComSpec & " /c " & @scriptdir & "\filename_of_your_batch", @SCRIPTDIR,@SW_HIDE)
filedelete(@scriptdir & "\filename_of_your_batch")

Analyse the converted program, XYZ.exe, with PE Explorer. It's quite adept at finding out why an application is deemed "not a valid Win32 Application" by Win XP and while the full version is expensive, the free 30-day-trial version is enough for what you require and 30 days is plenty of time for it.

Thanks guys. Your suggestions triggered some thinking. It ends up he was using the 64 bit version of the Bat To Exe Converter, which created exe's that were "not a valid Win32 Application", which might should have been expected but was overlooked. Switching back to the 32 bit version of the app seems to have solved the problem. Thanks again for the quick responses.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks guys.

Hey, wait a minute :ph34r:, you did not mention "compiling" the bat to exe, you used "encrypt or hide".

Have you actually analyzed the tool you mentioned?

Are you really-really sure that the way it works is suitable to your "encrypt" or "hiding" needs? :unsure:

Hint: look carefully in the Temp directory of the user running the compiled batch....

Just for the record program homepage is here:

http://www.f2ko.de/programs.php?lang=en&pid=b2e

jaclaz

Thanks guys.

Hey, wait a minute :ph34r:, you did not mention "compiling" the bat to exe, you used "encrypt or hide".

Have you actually analyzed the tool you mentioned?

Are you really-really sure that the way it works is suitable to your "encrypt" or "hiding" needs? :unsure:

Hint: look carefully in the Temp directory of the user running the compiled batch....

Just for the record program homepage is here:

http://www.f2ko.de/programs.php?lang=en&pid=b2e

jaclaz

Thanks jaclaz, point taken, and of course you are correct. I had used the same words the other user had used to me, at least partially incorrect as they might have been, because that is his purpose in using the tool. It is of course almost impossible to hide or encrypt computer code of any kind from someone with enough time, resources, and determination. But this does the job against the casual user and he has been happy with the results for several years. He only recently inadvertently created the problem himself when he upgraded his system from XP x86 to Win7 x64, and the app from the 32 bit to the 64 bit version, and did not realize that the exe's that were then produced were no longer "a valid Win32 Application". But in your web wanderings have you run across another application that could perhaps do a better job of encrypting or hiding while maintaining the ease of use that Bat To Exe Converter provides?

Cheers and Regards

But in your web wanderings have you run across another application that could perhaps do a better job of encrypting or hiding while maintaining the ease of use that Bat To Exe Converter provides?

Possibly :unsure:, there are several ones, the issue is that "real" compilers usually do not understand "properly", batch that use complex syntax or some (working) "strange syntaxes" here is one that claims to keep the actual batch encrypted:

http://www.battoexeconverter.com/

The PRO version (that allows redistributability of the "compiled" .exe) is NOT free (so most probably I never actually tested it) I have *somewhere* a folder where I stacked a few that I actually tried, but cannot remember one that worked "as it should" (at least with my batches).

I'll let you know if I can find that folder and (hopefully) some notes about th tests....

jaclaz