Blinking cursor when trying to install from nLite XP CD

shc1192

Hi! I'm new to nLite and I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I have a desktop computer that was running a Windows 7 upgrade, upgraded from XP. During boot up, my computer started freezing on Starting Windows (when logo image comes up before you get to your desktop). We tried to reformat and reinstall Windows XP so we could reinstall Windows 7, but it wasn't seeing my hard drive so we thought the hard drive was bad and bought a new one. Both the new and old hard drive are 500gb Seagate SATA drives.

I was told by a family member that works on computers that Windows XP sometimes doesn't recognize SATA drives because you need drivers for them, so I researched that and came across nLite. I followed some instructions I found online to make a CD with the drivers I needed on it. It had me go to my Asus motherboard's website to get drivers for my SATA drive. When I tried to boot up using the nLite CD I had created, it got stuck at a black screen with a blinking white line in the top left corner, before ever getting to any sort of setup screen.

Can anyone help me, or tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Thanks for reading, I appreciate it! :)

If you are having issues with Windows after removing components and have come to ask for help, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini file to your post to facilitate quicker assistance.
...right at the top of this page. ;)

p.s. - this more or less means ANY issue. It appears that the CD was created improperly.

addendum - turn off AHCI in the BIOS (set it to IDE mode) for the SATA drives (no need for SATA drivers). ;)

Edited by submix8c

We tried to reformat and reinstall Windows XP so we could reinstall Windows 7

Do you have aWindows7 install DVD ? Even if it is an Upgrade version, you should still be able to install it without all the pain you've been through, just needing your physical XP media as well (I read your machine does have an optical drive). Have you tried ?