Formatting and scandisk

Forgive the newbie questions here but how do you format 2k? I don't recall it giving me that option. If there's a link to instructions that would be great. Also, does 2k have the scandisk option 98 has for fixing errors? I have Nortons Systemworks but that's it. I could do with a good diagnostic tool that goes beyond just fixing registry files.

You don't format W2kP, you format the drives.

Now I've never formatted from within an OS, I use a utility disk

from Spotmau to format NTFS from a BIOS/CMOS screen.

I.E. the disk runs its' own GUI on a DOS/VGA screen, which you can use the arrow keys

to make your selection or in the case of Spotmau it runs a simple mouse driver to make

the job easier, you'll still have to tweek with the EnableBigLBA utility afterwards.

A good source of utilities are :

www.majorgeeks.com

and

www.filehippo.com

Sorry that's what I meant. Formatting a hard drive with 2000 on it. 98se had a format option on a floppy disk. I'm surprised you can't do the same with 2000.

Sorry that's what I meant. Formatting a hard drive with 2000 on it. 98se had a format option on a floppy disk. I'm surprised you can't do the same with 2000.
??? You mean you want to format the partition that has win2k on it (to start "fresh"?

If so , have you thought about doing it from the CD when you boot to it? It should work very much like XP, only "quick format" doesn't exist.

Look here.

...and YES you can create a 4-floppy set to do that.

P.S. Link I gave implies also using the CD's Command Console (and Format IS there...)

Okay, that's great. Thanks for the help guys. I still need to find out what I can use to scan and repair faults though. What's the 2000 equivalent of the 98se scandisk feature (if any)? I've only had this installed for a week and sometimes the system locks up when I click on "restart". Other times it will restart after I've selected "shut down". Do I need a third party diagnostic tool for this (if so, do you have any recommendations for a good one)?

Forgive the newbie questions here but how do you format 2k? I don't recall it giving me that option. If there's a link to instructions that would be great. Also, does 2k have the scandisk option 98 has for fixing errors? I have Nortons Systemworks but that's it. I could do with a good diagnostic tool that goes beyond just fixing registry files.

Hi,

Did you try to do "fortmat /?" and "chkdsk /?" on command prompt.

Hi there!

No, I haven't tried that. I can guess what the format command does but what does "chkdsk" do? Is that part of the format process or a command for checking / fixing errors in windows?

Edited by zanet

@zanet, It's been awhile since I've used Win2K, but I think it's like the later OS such that if you prefer a point and click approach, if you right-click on the disc drive in Windows Explorer and click properties then choose the tools tab you should find an Error-checking option, which triggers chkdsk - which is the "modern" equivalent of scandisk.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt