Old (pre-XP) PC games not working on 2000

Is there a certain way you have to install older (pre-XP) games on 2000? I ask because I installed a few games (that worked fine on 98se) but despite installing properly, the screen goes black and the system locks up (until I end the program in task manager) whenever I try them (this is just single player, not online). I've just done a fresh install of 2000 and added SP4 and the MS post-SP4 RollUp. Is there anything missing that I need to get them to work?

On your Windows 2000 CD, there is a directory called "Support" and within that directory is a program called "APCOMPAT.EXE". Grab that file and place it on your hard drive and either double click it from windows explorer or enter the proper path and file name from the "Run" command. This helps with compatibility issues and may or may not cure the issue. I don't think it does anything permanent, unless you check the box to make it so.

Hope this helps.

The APCOMPAT.EXE has any bugs.

the binary is fcwin.exe in KDW that I analyzed and extended the functions.

If you installed Office 2002 or later version Office.

The application crash while new usp10.dll calling.

copy old usp10.dll and atl.dll(ansi versiopn) current folder.

If I can get the games, I will try to work it.

On your Windows 2000 CD, there is a directory called "Support" and within that directory is a program called "APCOMPAT.EXE". Grab that file and place it on your hard drive and either double click it from windows explorer or enter the proper path and file name from the "Run" command. This helps with compatibility issues and may or may not cure the issue. I don't think it does anything permanent, unless you check the box to make it so.

Hope this helps.

Edited by blackwingcat