Force display resolution to be "real" not "virtual"

wRieDen

Hey there, after my win98 machine is finally up and running, there are some problems with the resolution. I can not set it the way i'd like to, because every resolution beyond 1280x1024 is only virtual. That means that the desktop is larger, but you have to scroll around it. I only experience it with newer ati drivers, older ones seems to work fine. But these won't allow DirectX 9 and every game that uses it crashes. So i either need fix to DirectX or the Resolution. I already tried custom monitor drivers, but they did not help. The video card used is an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI.

Hope there is any solution!

The Radeon 9250 (I have a Predator MD-AT9250PC) has hardware DirectX 8.1 and OpenGL 1.3 support. DirectX 9 should use that support and emulate later features in the HEL (hardware emulation layer) without causing a crash....

The digital, analog, and TV outputs have different resolution specs. I have only used analog monitors at 1280 and below and haven't experienced the virtual desktop issue.

Consider using a different utility such as MultiRes or HZTool to change/set the desktop resolution. What monitors and utilities have you tried?

Just tried the ultilities you've mentioned, but the same problem occurs. This resolution "bug" seems to start with the WDM driver model. It's quite strange that all the VXD drivers doesn't support DX9, there is not even an error :(

It's quite strange that all the VXD drivers doesn't support DX9, there is not even an error :(

Or rather the DX9 runtime doesn't seem to support DX8.1 VXD's. Try testing your DX setup using the older drivers with DXDIAG.EXE or another DX diagnostic tool to locate the cause of the crashes. Also "crash" is extremely vague--please post the text of any error message.

Virtual resolutions are sometime used when there is not enough screen buffer memory for the full image. Use the Radeon's utility to disable any dual-monitor support, including mirroring, TV-out, etc.

Tested it with all the drivers, while WMD ones worked fine, VXD's displayed everything well up to the direct3d 9 test. So after I accepted the message telling me that d3d 9 will be tested, the screen went black for a moment and the DirectX config closed without any error message (same happened with dx9 games). I'll try to disable additional monitor support when I'm at home.

Is your monitor correctly installed and identified?

The older drivers may be talking directly to the monitor to find its capabilities, while the new drivers may be using the installed (1280x1024?) values.

In "Display Properties > Advanced > Monitors" you should see your monitor correctly identified (what is it by the way?) and "Automatically detect Plug & Play monitors" selected.

"Change" the monitor type if needed. If you're *really* sure your monitor can do at least 1600x1200, try the Super VGA 1600x1200 in (standard monitor types). Monitors can be damaged if you overdrive them, so be *very careful.* :ph34r:

In "Display Properties > Advanced", there may also be a "Display modes" or similar tab with various setting to try.

You may also be able to use the Catalyst Control Center for these adjustments. Explore it thoroughly.

Already did almost every possible solution regarding the monitor driver. It does not seem to affect my problem, even if I set a low reolution driver, eg a VGA one. My Monitor is an EIZO FS 2332 capable of 1920x1080px. The Display modes settings tab does not exist for me :(. I'm a little bit confused, because even if i set an XGA Monitor driver, i still can choose higher resolutions in the display properties.

What do you see in the "Display Properties > Advanced > Monitors" tab?

XGA is only 1024x768, so 1280x1024 should have become virtual. If so, that's a good thing. Did you try Super VGA 1600x1200?

If that works up to 1600x1200, then also edit the monitor's MaxResolution in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MONITOR\...\PCI_VEN...]
"MaxResolution"="1920,1080"

I just see the monitor type (Plug n Play) and three checkboxes (Plug n Play, reset on standby and energy management). In the registry are around 4 monitors, but only one has a MaxResolution string that fits the resolution of my monitor. The other don't have such a value. The "real" resolution is limited to 1280x1024, no matter what monitor driver is currently in use.

There seems to be a Plug and Play problem between the newer ATI drivers and your monitor.

Uncheck the "Plug and Play" box and try again with the Super Vga 1600x1200 and custom monitor drivers (reboot each time).

That should work, otherwise you will also need to switch cable types: VGA / DVI.

??? Better yet, get the associated INF files for your Monitors - they tell EXACTLY what they can/can't do. NEVER use "Plug-And-Pray" for the Monitor! Look at the back of it/them and get Make/Model and Google them. There are ALWAYS INF files for them and SOMETIMES if you're lucky you can get the associated ICM's.

Those INF's keep the Graphic Adapter from going "out of bounds" and even give MORE that what "Plug-and-Pray" THINKS they can do.

Right here they are. Download, Unzip, Change it in Device Manager (Update Driver). 1920x1080 Max... ;)

HTH...

edit - note that EVEN THOUGH Win9X is NOT specified, it WILL (should) WORK!!!

Edited by submix8c

It just seems that everything i do regarding the monitor driver seems to be ignored ...

installing the official monitor driver - still the same

disabling PnP - no change

installing other monitor drivers - also ignored

The weird thing is that even if i set the official driver, i can still set almost every resolution, including not supported ones.

Have you tried a DVI cable?

icon11.gifAmazon review of HD monitor attached to Radeon 9250

Have you tried a VGA cable?

icon11.gifArs Technica: Radeon 9250 DVI won't let my monitor go > 1280*1024???

Have you tried a lower-res 16:9 mode such as 1280x720 or 848x480?

icon11.gifATI Radeon 92x0: *16:9 aspect ratio monitors are [not] supported on [Win98]

I recommend uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling the Radeon driver with the Eizo driver already installed (and PnP checkbox unchecked).

Then (re)install DirectX 9c (December 2006).

Re-explore the CCC Advanced menu options.