Hello I need some info about 1:1 ratios on memory and cpu fsb

neovikingx

Hello Im new here and not use to using forums.

I can build computers with out much of a problem, but i dont know alot about overclocking. Im wanting to build a new pc for games, with a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P revision 1.1 mother board, CORE 2 Quad Q9300 FSB of 1333mhz, now here is what i dont know. I read this some where ( Core 2 technology benefits from RAM running synchronously with the FSB 1:1) if this is true I need memory at 667mhz to work the best . now i have 4-1 gig sticks of Gskill of ddr2 at 800mhz will it work just as well to down clock it to 667mhz?

And I will run three os systems on the computer 2000,xp 32, win 7 64, not sure if i will use 2000

I would like to over clock the proccesor to 3ghz.

I might upgrade the proccesor later on to somthing arround Q9550, and wanted to use 4-2 gigs sticks of ram for win 7, would 800 mhz memory work fine or should use 1066 down clocked (for a wider range of overclocking on the cpu with out going over 1066 on memory) ?

I will do some overclocking-not a lot at first, at least till I get a better understandig of overclocking.

I currently have the mother board, processor, the memory, and a copy of xp-32 pro to build my new system.

Any info would be great

Thanks for any help I can get

Edited by neovikingx

Welcome neovikingx,

now i have 4-1 gig sticks of Gskill of ddr2 at 800mhz will it work just as well to down clock it to 667mhz?

Yes they will. Sometimes higher clocks on the RAM benefit over 1:1, and as you know that LGA775 chips use a quad-pumped bus, so 4 times 333MHz giving you 1333MT/s. So, anything that is a multi of those 333Mhz would be seen as in sync with RAM and CPU. You do this with tight timings, not only from the RAM but also the chip-set as the CPU has no build in memory controller. Now, like I said, higher bandwidth, thus 800MHz DDR, could give a better performance with benchmarks, not that you "feel" the difference.

I would like to over clock the proccesor to 3ghz.

yeah well, 1600MT/s bus, that will be hard, sure you have that extra space on your RAM to get the "1:1". 1:1 isn't 100% correct.

I might upgrade the proccesor later on to somthing arround Q9550, and wanted to use 4-2 gigs sticks of ram for win 7, would 800 mhz memory work fine or should use 1066 down clocked (for a wider range of overclocking on the cpu with out going over 1066 on memory) ?

Do you have all these parts just laying around? I would sell it all together on eBay, they do give amazing high bids on "old" stuff like this, and get your self some LGA1155 mobo with way cheaper DDR3. Even a G530 Celeron does a better job than any LGA775 CPU (some exceptions here and there). You will benefit from PCI-E 2.x and even PCI-E 3.0 with the upcoming 22nm Intel CPUs. AMD I leave out for now, but I would liek to know what games you will play and what video card you are going to buy, so post that here please.

Bad idea, you got that I think by now, I can even explain you in details why, but first answer my question above ;).

Yes I have everthing i need to build the system, and the motherboard has pci-e 2.0 slots. Now what brought me to ask this is somthing I read here on this site some time ago at this address http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/114125-what-is-the-correct-ddr2-memory-speed-for-use-with-1333-fsb-cpus/.

And I dont know what video card I will use, the one I have now is Evga e-GeForce 8600 GTS, I was planing to get somthing better than that anyway. Most the game I play are shooter, and racing games (Gears of war, crisis, resident evil, need for speed and others).

Im a buget builder and like my stuff to be backwards compatabile to a point

When I was checking prices and specs on new mother board and processore, They seemed a bit too high and only had Sata ports, no ide or fdd ports

Reason why I was thinking of upgrading to the Q9550 or might be a Q9650 is it is a better processor and I have a friend that has one laying arround for $50 Other wise he was going to sell it on ebay or some where.

Hope this helps sorry it took me so long to reply I usually up all night and sleep during the day.

Thanks

Edited by neovikingx

50 Bucks for that CPU, I would do it without thinking, that one has room for overclocking. Note that such a CPU normally goes for 100 to 130USD on eBay :yes: .

Yes, sorry, P45, I had the P35 in my mind, it has indeed PCI-E 2.0.

I don't see why you would like windows 2k and XP on the same machine but for the rest of the setup it will do fine, especially with the Q9550/9650. For games I would invest 110USD on a HD7750, doesn't consume much and will run most games pretty well at 1920*1080. The nVidia 8800 is just a bit too outdated. How much RAM do you have now? 4GB? That should be enough for X64 and a few heavy applications open. Your Q9300 sells for over 80USD (bare chip) on ebay ;).

Reason for 2k is for older games for 98se and 2000 that wont support xp. But there is a program for xp where I can ran a virtual copy of those operating systems.

Thank for yor help.

Edited by neovikingx

Some of those games might have a remake, it seems to be popular these days to have them rewritten under JAVA (some (console)emulators) or are coded over. They might be on the abandon-ware list and some have a loader for modern OSes. I know what you are talking about as I hate to see 8bit color debt games show anything but the real colors. :unsure:

Some of those games might have a remake, it seems to be popular these days to have them rewritten under JAVA (some (console)emulators) or are coded over. They might be on the abandon-ware list and some have a loader for modern OSes. I know what you are talking about as I hate to see 8bit color debt games show anything but the real colors. :unsure:

Where do I go to find out about that abandon-ware list ?