Setting a theme

So I found out Microsoft was too active and smart yet again and using .theme files is deprecated in W7.

How on earth am I supposed to set a slightly customized Aero theme in an unattended way then? Could someone give me an idea? Help for WSIM didn't help me at all because it covers entirely different stuff. I do not need to create a theme from my own pictures or whatever.

On users' request Legolash2o has integrated this function in his tool i.e winkit (which was earlier called as Windows 7 Toolkit ), you can use his tool to set custom theme as default one. Alternative you can also change the reg in the install.wim

Key: HKEY_Local_Machine\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Themes",
String Name: "InstallTheme"
String Value: "%SystemDrive%\\Windows\\Resources\\Themes\\Aero.theme"

Credit goes to legolash2o for this registry.

Edited by nice_guy75

Ah that sounds like viable alternative! Thanks!

Is there a way to do it in unattended file though?

I don't think so. All you can do is

<Themes>
<ThemeName>Fabrikam Theme</ThemeName>
<DefaultThemesOff>false</DefaultThemesOff>
<DesktopBackground>%WINDIR%\web\wallpaper\fabrikam.jpg</DesktopBackground>
<BrandIcon>%programfiles%\Fabrikam\fabrikam-logo.png</BrandIcon>
<ScreenSaver>Bubbles.scr</ScreenSaver>
<WindowColor>Violet</WindowColor>
</Themes>

it will create a theme file and place that theme file in Resources folder but you won't be able to apply any .msstyle file using "Autounattend.xml".

Alternatively you can just delete the default aero theme from the install.wim and then place your custom theme in the install.wim and rename the .theme file as Aero.theme, in this way the setup would read it as default aero theme and apply the same.

I got as far as installing graphic drivers and have

<Themes>
<DefaultThemesOff>true</DefaultThemesOff>
<ThemeName>AeroNoBackground</ThemeName>
</Themes>

in my unattended file, BUT the trouble is the theme only shows up in installed ones and is not active. Balls. There must be a way to do this.

MAYBE the problem is the theme is set before firstlogoncommands when Aero is not running because of drivers yet.

Edited by TheWalrus

Have you gotten any of the other suggestions to work that do not use the unattended file, since everyone has told you that will not work, or are you insisting that using the unattended file is the only way you want to do it? I'm sure that if you are able to get it to work reliably that there will be many people that will thank you profusely, but you will be the first do to so that I am aware of.

Cheers and Regards

I don't think I will manage because I'd have to do it AFTER the graphics driver is installed, and I do that with firstlogoncommands, which is processed virtually right before the desktop appears. I guess the only way is to inject the driver right into the image, but I don't want to do that (yet).

I will try Legolash's approach now.

Can't crack it up!!

I switched the graphic drivers installation to setupcomplete.cmd because that executes before firstlogoncommands and before any account is logged on in fact, but it still didn't help because apparently I need to restart the machine in order for registry change to take effect. Getting out of ideas here :D

Maybe install the **** driver in WindowsPE phase and set theme during setupcomplete.cmd phase.

Can't crack it up!!

I switched the graphic drivers installation to setupcomplete.cmd because that executes before firstlogoncommands and before any account is logged on in fact, but it still didn't help because apparently I need to restart the machine in order for registry change to take effect. Getting out of ideas here :D

Maybe install the **** driver in WindowsPE phase and set theme during setupcomplete.cmd phase.

I think you should use WinKit and set your custom theme as default and then try to install the graphic driver with setupcomplete.cmd, alternative you can also run the registry file just after the installation of your graphic driver, I mean put the command to run the registry for theme in the setupcomplete.cmd itself.

What I do.................. I set my custom theme as default theme with WinKit and then install my graphic driver with setupcomplete.cmd, works perfectly for me.

As I said you can also mount your Install.wim and then load your registry hives and make the necessary changes for theme and then unload the hives and unmount the wim with committing changes, it would set your custom theme as default theme and then install your graphic driver wherever you want, you might have to put reboot command to activate aero effect if you chooses to install your graphic driver on first logon.

If WinKit can do it then it must be possible to do it manually too! I don't want to use 3rd party tools.

And btw the registry stuff IS set. But for some unknown reason the theme is not active even if I restart. Grrrr!

What I do is copy the theme file during setup by having it in $OEM$ folder in the installation source. It goes to the usual windows\resources\themes folder.

Since you're running out of ideas, you might want to give WinKit a try. I understand that you want to do it by hand, and that's fine. But if WinKit can't do it either, then that might point to there being a more basic problem involved. If WinKit is successful, then you just need to figure out what exactly WinKit did that you need to replicate by hand to be able to accomplish the task without using 3rd party tools. But so far, you keep asking the same questions that no one else has been able to solve either. So lets find a way that works, then see about doing the same task in the manner that you wish. Or, if you just can't bring your self to use a third party tool at any time, then Tripredacus told you how he does it, without using 3rd party tools, with the minor inconvenience of leaving the personalize window open at first boot. At least if you're able to somehow make it give you the theme you want, you'll have proof that it can be done, and you'll have a backup plan in place if for some reason you're unable to do it any other way.

Cheers and Regards

If WinKit can do it then it must be possible to do it manually too! I don't want to use 3rd party tools.

And btw the registry stuff IS set. But for some unknown reason the theme is not active even if I restart. Grrrr!

What I do is copy the theme file during setup by having it in $OEM$ folder in the installation source. It goes to the usual windows\resources\themes folder.

Please post your registry setting and name of your custom theme and name of msstyle as well, I will try to help you. And I wonder why didn't you directly keep the theme in the themes folder by mounting the install.wim instead of using OEM folder?

BTW how did you set the registry?

Edited by nice_guy75

I also see you're asking Legolash2o to explain how WinKit does it, which is fine. But don't you think you need to verify that WinKit's method works first for your driver and theme? Try it. You don't have to keep it if you don't want to.

Cheers and Regards

Please post your registry setting and name of your custom theme and name of msstyle as well, I will try to help you. And I wonder why didn't you directly keep the theme in the themes folder by mounting the install.wim instead of using OEM folder?

BTW how did you set the registry?

Well I don't want to inject anything in the image as I use it for different machines, so I have the file copied by having it in $OEM$ folder instead.

I tried to add the registry stuff during setupcomplete.cmd phase since - as far as I know - that is processed before the default profile is copied over, so it should apply to any account created after that.

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes /v InstallTheme /t REG_SZ /d "%SystemDrive%\Windows\Resources\Themes\AeroNoBackground.theme" /f

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes /v CurrentTheme /t REG_SZ /d "%SystemDrive%\Windows\Resources\Themes\AeroNoBackground.theme" /f

no idea what .msstyle files are btw