WinRAR ZIP file type

Trelas

Please read #4

Does anyone know why the Windows XP doesn't show properly the tag for the *.zip files?

Even after installing WinRAR archiver the Windows Explorer doesn't show the tag.

But when you hover the mouse on the icon the info tooltip correctly displays it.

REGARDS!

Edited by Trelas

If this is what you meant...

Open Windows Explorer, menu Tools / Folder Options/Files Types, scroll down to ".zip", select it, click on Advanced and "Change Icon".

Select the application or Icon file from which to get the icon you want.

As for why it happened, probably a program that handles that type of files, that you tried then removed ?

Hello,

Sorry, I explained the issue poorly.

In the Windows XP SP2/SP3 OS the *.rar archives are displayed with

"WinRAR archive" and the *.zip archives are displayed with "WinRAR ZIP

archive". Everything is properly translated in the WinRAR but in the

Windows Explorer environment, the icons doesn't seem to display the

file type for ZIP files.

This is happening just on Windows XP. Windows Vista and Windows 7 seem

to properly display the file type for ZIP archives.

I friend of mine reported this to the WinRAR developers and they responded

that:

It is some Windows Explorer issue. If you move the cursor over

ZIP archive icon, the popup tooltip message will include the correct

file type information. So WinRAR correctly provided this info to

Explorer, but Explorer does not display it for some unknown reason.

I've attached a screenshot to clarify my statement.

post-351870-0-36410800-1332958136_thumb.

they responded

that:

It is some Windows Explorer issue. If you move the cursor over

ZIP archive icon, the popup tooltip message will include the correct

file type information..

Yes but that's not what Explorer is asking for. I just tried that in "tiles view" and it obviously reads something specific to the very file, not the "file type" Explorer shows in "Details view".

For instance I have two exe files, (file type "application"), when hovered one shows "Description: program" the other one shows "Description: Kernel driver installer". Most files do show the file type but some show nothing.

There is something in the file that reports a File type (not direct link to the the extension), Description (I think that is what you're after), Company, and File Version. If the field is empty or the structure of the file doesn't provide the field, no info is shown (only Date and Size read from the file system). Possibly the Zip file you're showing is not build by Winrar but by an other archiver, which might make the difference or Winrar does not fill those fields for Zip but only for RAR files, in which case those people at Winrar should have known.

Edited by Ponch

I'm after a File type for ZIP files, not Description.

If the field is empty or the structure of the file doesn't provide the field, no info is shown...

...or Winrar does not fill those fields for Zip but only for RAR files...

...yes I know that.

...but WinRAR correctly provided this info to Explorer, but Explorer does not display it.

Possibly the Zip file you're showing is not build by Winrar but by an other archiver, which might make the difference...

Doesn't matter if is a ZIP file build by WinRAR or build by XP own ZIP processor, I try all of this.

Take a look at my screenshot. Something is missing in the icon in "tiles view". Sure that in "Details view"
a File type
is properly displayed but not in "tiles view".

Even when I install Windows XP from scratch (SP2/SP3) the built in XP ZIP processor "Compressed (zipped) Folder" does not display the tag in "tiles view".

Every file has to have
a File type
tag
so why not ZIP files?

Don't use *.exe, use *.zip and *.rar files to
see
what I'm talking about.

Please perform an experiment like having in the same folder one ZIP file, one RAR file, one TXT file and one JPEG file. Now switch between "tiles view" and "Details view". Now you have an ideia of the issue. In "Details view" the
Type
description is displayed for all files. In "tiles view" the icons displayed the
File type
except for ZIP files (XP only).

Sorry for not being more explicit for you to understand. And thank you for your time!

Edited by Trelas

It works correctly for me. Try this...

Open a CMD window and type this regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

Press enter

You may need to reboot to see any changes.

Please perform an experiment like having in the same folder one ZIP file, one RAR file, one TXT file and one JPEG file. Now switch between "tiles view" and "Details view". Now you have an ideia of the issue. In "Details view" the Type description is displayed for all files. In "tiles view" the icons displayed the File type except for ZIP files (XP only).

I just did. Surprising. On two pc looking at the same 4 files in the same folder, one has Winrar installed and the other has IceOws (other archive manager) and guess what, ... for the zip and rar files, the hovering and tiles do no show same info on both pc.

on PC1:

ZIP; hovered; "Type Winrar zip archive", tiles; nothing

RAR; hovered; "WinRAR archive", tiles; "WinRAR archive"

on PC 2;

ZIP hovered; shows amount of files in archive, no date, no size, Tiles; "IceOws document (ZIP)

RAR hovered; shows amount of files in archive, (no date, no size), Tiles; "IceOws document

I also see that IrfanView shows in "Tiles" the dimensions of the jpg file which seems to indicates that the application sort of gets the info it wants in the file.

Every file has to have a File type

Files that are not handled by any application might not show any "file type" when hovered and display nothing in "tiles view" even if in detail view, Explorer displays a file type according to the extension. And sometimes the "file type" when hovered is not exactly the same as file type displayed in the explorer "file type" column. Bizarre. I don't consider this a big problem (do you ?)

Cheers.

Try this...

Open a CMD window and type this regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

Press enter

IT WORKED!!!

After this I associate ZIP files to WinRAR and then everything became perfect!

Now I have RAR files with "tiles" description WinRAR archive and ZIP files with "tiles" description WinRAR ZIP archive.

It saves me a bunch of time handling both ZIP and RAR files with type description showing all the time.

Thanks!

Edited by Trelas

Interesting!

Point of interest? If you "uninstall" any ZIP-enabled software (eg WinRAR) one might "assume" that the DLL may need re-registered to re-associate the built-in function. (Correct?)