Wireless Problem, Program Load Problem

DavidCulliford

I have an eeePC with two solid state drives, c:\ has 4 gb while D:\ has 8.

I have a copy of Windows XP SP2 which I slipstreamed with SP3 using nLite.

I obtained drivers from the Asus site and merged them with nLite output.

I then applied the Tweaks etc as shown on the web site www.i64x.com.

I burned the resulting iso and loaded the XP software in the D:\ drive using a quick format of NTSF.

Windows XP runs and is stable but I have the following problems:

On startup 3 programs, skytel.exe, rthdcpl.exe, and alcmtr.exe generate messages saying that they can not run because dsound.dll is missing. This is not critical and I can dismiss the messages.

I cannot get my internal 802.11n Wireless Lan to work. The Device Manages says that it is working properly. When I click on the icon on the bottom of the screen it says "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection"

I have a dwa-160 usb wireless adapter that comes with its own configuration software. I tried to install and use this. The software says that it is connected but the icon at the bottom of the screen shows red and it doesn't work. I really need WLAN capability.

I tried to load Microsoft Streets and Trips from a DVD. I get a message saying that it must load Microsoft .net framework, Text to Speech features, access database engine and visual C++ redistributable package. A message comes up saying "Please wait while .net is installed." The machine hangs there and the only way to turn it off is to push and hold the power button. My whole reason for trying to do a small Windows installation is so that I can run this program on the eeePc.

Do you have any idea how I could address these problems?

Did I leave something out in the Customizing that needs to be included?

Dave

On startup 3 programs, skytel.exe, rthdcpl.exe, and alcmtr.exe generate messages saying that they can not run because dsound.dll is missing.
This is the Realtek Audio driver. Re-install.

Please look at the top of the page

If you are having issues with Windows after removing components and have come to ask for help, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini file to your post to facilitate quicker assistance.

Sorry, thought I attached files. Selected them in Browse but didn't see Attach button.

I tried rerunning the Realteck setup. It didn't make any difference but as I said, I can live with that.

I reloaded the iso, this time in the C:\ drive, again reformatting it with NTSF.

I got all the same results.

I run the wireless setup, Windows gives me the "Windows cannot configure..." screen.

I try to load Microsoft Streets and Trips, it hangs up at the "Please wait while .net is installed" which is the first of 4 things it says it will install.

I can do all of these things normally when I use the original installation disk on this PC. I believe its Windows is the Home Edition with SP2.

It must be something that I have left out. Any ideas what?

Dave

LAST SESSION_U.INI

LAST SESSION_U.INI

Search that text file for "wireless", you'll find your problem in 3 seconds. It looks like you removed everything without too much care. Be prepared for a lot of problems.

Quite correct. I was just following the instructions in a web article without enough care. Here is a new attempt.

The Wireless now works.

I don't get the Realteck notices.

The problem I am still having is trying to load Microsoft Streets and Trips. I have tried both the 2008 and 2010 versions. I had both running on this machine with the version of Windows XP Home Edition which was in fact SP3 that is on the eeePc disc. In both cases hangs on an early screen saying "Please wait while .net is installed".

Is there something else I took out that needs to be there?

Any other ideas.

LAST SESSION.INI

Without looking at the second attempt, why don't you integrate the required .NET package into the XP install? Check the RyanVM forums for True Add-ons of .NET versions. I'm glad you got everything else solved.

Examples: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8317&highlight=net

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8516&highlight=net

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7696&highlight=net

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7186&highlight=net

Cheers

Also without looking at the second attempt, a comment I would make is that tweaks, etc from a gaming website are often focused more on speed and responsiveness rather than overall general purpose software compatibility. Could you point us to the exact tweaks etc on that site you used? If nothing else, like Sp0iLedBrAt I would suggest getting a more "full-featured" install working with all the software that you want to use, then gradually slim the install down until things start breaking. Then you would have a better idea what you can't remove.

Cheers and Regards

I checked the RyanVM forums for True Add-ons of .NET to integrate the required .NET package into the XP install but I am afraid my background isn't strong enough to figure out what I need to do. Could you give me a few more tips?

Thanks,

Dave

Sorry to be so helpless but:

I downloaded all the high priority updates as per the xdot.tk/nliteimages.html site. When I look at the Hotfixes etc. images, the first entyr is .NET Framework v2.0 SP1. When I look at the ryanvm.ne site you mentioned earlier and check out the downloads I get a compressed file onepiece_Micorsoft.net_Frameword... When this is unpacked it has many files not the single one in the Hotfixes example list. Do I select all files for integration or is there somewhere I can get the current version of .Net?

Thanks again,

Dave

I have added the Hotfixes and Updates for Windows XP including .net. I can now get Microsoft Streets and Trips 2008 to load on the copy of Windows XP that I have installed on my D:/ drive. The 2010 copy no longer informs me that it needs to load .net but says that it still needs to load Microsoft Office Access Database Engine and the Visual Basic C++ Redistributable Package. The computer then hangs up and I must push and hold the power button to get it to recover. When I use the Remove Programs feature both of these packages show up. This version of XP also takes a long time to start responding on power up.

I have the version of windows XP that came with the computer still working on the C:/ drive. On it I can load Streets and Trips 2010 and it responds much quicker to turn on.

Is there something about trying to run Windows on the D:/ drive that creates the problem?

Do I need to keep the earlier versions of .Net? D:/ has 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 as well as 3.5 SP1.

If I ever manage to load Streets and Trips 2010 on D:/ how can I get rid of XP on C:/? Can I just format the disc or would that mess up the log on which now shows both versions and allows me to pick one.

I am including the Last Session just in case you are interested.

LAST SESSION.INI

Why not install those packages manually? BTW, does it say which version of Visual Basic C++ Redistributable Package it needs? There are versions 8, 9, and 10. In the end, why not install them all, but one at a time with launching the CD in between and seeing if it makes a difference? Thost redistributables are needed anyway, as a lot of applications are programmed that way.