Aero Features in Windows Vista

UltimateSilence

Tomasz86,

Thank you for the reply.

Actually, I meant...literally backporting the feature to Windows Vista (i.e., without third-party programs). I was hoping that since Vista and 7 are so similar that there would be a way to do it.

Edited by UltimateSilence

not without source code

explorer and shell would need that thing updated

and 6.1 isn't compatible with 6.0

Isn't there a way to modify the files in 7 for Vista though? I know it sounds silly, but it has been on my mind for almost two months now. I wouldn't mind paying...

Edited by UltimateSilence

no, modifying file is not possible.

That's too bad...

If you like this functions, install Win7 and use a Vista Themepack to get the Vista look:

...although I have to admit that this looks pretty good. Thank you for the link.

Have you tried the Vista VS for Windows 7 by fediaFedia? It, too, looks attractive. Thanks to @UltimateSilence for suggesting that one. :)

--JorgeA

no, modifying file is not possible. If you like this functions, install Win7 and use a Vista Themepack to get the Vista look:

or just use the AquaSnap application I mentioned above :whistle:

I know that some people may not like to use external programs for such things but, really, this one eats less than 1MB of RAM:

vnp05.png

and offers actually more functionality than Windows 7 Aero.

Edited by tomasz86

I agree with tomasz86. No matter if you are backporting from Win 7 or using an app from a different manufacturer, you are still adding a "foreign" program to your OS - one that was not originally intended by MS to be used with Vista, so where do you see the difference? At least with AquaSnap it is a program that is intended to be used with Vista, so appropriate testing should have been done. Insisting on using a program from MS in a case like this doesn't make as much sense to me.

Cheers and Regards

you could probably try to take explorer.exe from

windows 7 alpha build 6469, as this was earliest build leaked which explorer.exe used Vista file manager shell

you would have to change its version with PE Explorer and imagecfg if Vista is to even accept it

not sure if such early build had these features of snap's and shake's though

and you would most probably either get random error messages because of win 7 superbar integrated init

to which vista has no calls of it, your skin would probably messed up too since values for skin segments

were changed and some added for new superbar

or OS would simply refuse to even start up explorer at all (test it in Virtual Machine is safest way to see)

but as people told above, better to use tested and safe method of 3rd party app than messing around like this

Edited by vinifera