[Solved] tenz9596's 1.5 GiB RAM setup overhaul

tenz9596

Safe Mode will appear the following, how to solve?

insufficient memory to initiaize windows

ouit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities forme your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXTC.BAT files, and resatrt your computer

5) to access "Safe Mode" with > 1 GiB RAM you'll need both the VCache.VxD modded by Xeno86 and xRayeR's patch to IO.SYS.

Are you sure? Did you read my posts about system.cb in safe mode? They are here: http://www.msfn.org/board/more-than-win9x-safe-mode-t142953.html

If my solution works for safe mode, it can be more useful than binary patches.

@Usher: I've read it, rest assured. Your solution may well work. I have not tested it, nor can do it easily, because nowadays I use the RAM Limitation Patch, which I deem the best solution. It gives the system much more stability than any of the free solutions and access to all the RAM. Since I've got no experience with your method, I cannot recommend it, although this does not mean I'm implying it doesn't work. I simply never tried it, and, as far as I know, nobody else did, since you posted it. But I'm willing to add your thread and your machine to the > 1 GiB list, provided you PM me the description of your system, in the lines of the descriptions of the machines already listed there.

But using xRayeR's patch is very reliable, and has been thoroughly tested by many users.

Xeno86's modded VCache.VxD and xRayeR's modded IO.SYS are perfectly safe, there's no need to be paranoid about them, and they obviate a lot of work.

I recommend doing the following (read this as a Mini How-To), which works for both Normal and Safe Modes:

1) Adding a "MaxPhysPage=48000", without the inverted commas to the [386Enh] section of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI

2) Installing Xeno86's modded VCache.VxD (after this, usually, no MaxFileCache line is needed in SYSTEM.INI)

3) Adding HIMEMX.EXE to C:\WINDOWS, and then renaming it to HIMEM.EXE

4) Applying MS KB311561, then rebooting.

5) Running xRayeR's w98iopat.exe, in True DOS, from C:\

6) Creating a CONFIG.SYS in C:\, containing the single line "DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.EXE /NUMHANDLES=64", without the inverted commas.

For even better results, one should instead use RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch, of course, but that's not for free, and the above procedure is the most reliable way to do it completely for free, in my experience.

Enter Y, the second line shows the sentence, may I ask where the problem?

IO.SYS open [OK]

searching for himem.sys string... [not found]

Need to 2G, but it does not work in safe mode

Edited by tenz9596

IO.SYS open [OK]

Here is a good starting point.

Might I ask if you already have 2G installed? It may be easier to have only 512M to start with.

HOWEVER, that doesn't appear to be the problem (which I find unusual). Using a Hex Editor, at offset A4E4 I find it in the original Win98SE IO.SYS. Doubtful (even if language-dependent) that it can't be "found". I assume that you've successfully completed steps 1 thru 4?

IO.SYS open [OK]

Might I ask if you already have 2G installed? It may be easier to have only 512M to start with.

HOWEVER, that doesn't appear to be the problem (which I find unusual). Using a Hex Editor, at offset A4E4 I find it in the original Win98SE IO.SYS. Doubtful (even if language-dependent) that it can't be "found". I assume that you've successfully completed steps 1 thru 4?

Yes - can be used under normal window, but not in safe mode

System displays 1150.0MB RAM

The article read, there are successful according to user settings, but in vain!

Safe mode is displayed

insufficient memory to initiaize windows

ouit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities forme your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXTC.BAT files, and resatrt your computer

IO.SYS open [OK]

Motherboard :GIGABYTE GA-7VA ver2.0

HDD : Seagate 40GB

Video card : Albatron GeForce FX5600 GT (128 MiB ; AGP)

Ram : Transcend DDR400 1G Transcend DDR400 512MB + ADATA DDR400 512MB = 1G Total= 2G

System: DOS 6.22 + Windows 98 SE

FAT16 2G

System.ini

02.png

Config.sys

04.png

Autoexec.bat

03.png

Edited by tenz9596

Do this (the SYSTEM.CB change) -

Then this -
1) Adding a "MaxPhysPage=48000", without the inverted commas to the [386Enh] section of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI

2) Installing Xeno86's modded VCache.VxD (after this, usually, no MaxFileCache line is needed in SYSTEM.INI)

3) Adding HIMEMX.EXE to C:\WINDOWS, and then renaming it to HIMEM.EXE

4) Applying MS KB311561, then rebooting.

6) Creating a CONFIG.SYS in C:\, containing the single line "DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.EXE /NUMHANDLES=64", without the inverted commas.

For even better results, one should instead use RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch, of course, but that's not for free, and the above procedure is the most reliable way to do it completely for free, in my experience.

You've indicated that you've done Step#1, Step#5, and Step#6. As you can see, if you do Step#2, then you need not do Step#1 (or maybe even the SYSTEM.CB change).

Did you do Step#3 and Step#4? They are necessary also.

In addition, I am changing Step#6 to read differently -

6) Creating a CONFIG.SYS or change a preexisting one in C:\, containing the single line or an added line "DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.EXE /NUMHANDLES=64", without the inverted commas. If you changed a preexisting one, REMove any lines with "HIMEM.SYS"
The HIMEM.EXE is the part that is changing (replacing the use of HIMEM.SYS).

REMove the line in your CONFIG.SYS. It's overriding the HIMEM.EXE line.

I repeat, I find it IMPOSSIBLE that the "string" was not found in your IO.SYS unless its already been "modified" in some way. Find a Hex Editor, open IO.SYS up and see if that string exists. Please note that running the patch two or more times will cause a "string not found" error because it has already been changed.

USE THE STEP#4 FIX FIRST! ALL STEPS MUST BE COMPLETED IN ORDER. Try the CONFIG.SYS change I mentioned above. Also confirm that all changes are done correctly. If you can boot into Normal Mode, then you should be able to check that all items are completed as necessary.

Edited by submix8c

As you can see, if you do Step#2, then you need not do Step#1 (or maybe even the SYSTEM.CB change).

There are no maybes. :D

Either SYSTEM.CB contains MaxPhysPage=48000 and MaxFileCache=131072, or it contains just MaxPhysPage=48000 and Xenó86's VCache is used. Patching IO.SYS by hand may be required, in case xRayeR's patcher isn't liking the IO.SYS given to it. Of course, loading HIMEM.EXE and HIMEM.SYS together will do no good.

As you can see, if you do Step#2, then you need not do Step#1 (or maybe even the SYSTEM.CB change).

There are no maybes. :D

Either SYSTEM.CB contains MaxPhysPage=48000 and MaxFileCache=131072, or it contains just MaxPhysPage=48000 and Xenó86's VCache is used. Patching IO.SYS by hand may be required, in case xRayeR's patcher isn't liking the IO.SYS given to it. Of course, loading HIMEM.EXE and HIMEM.SYS together will do no good.

Mainly been unable to enter safe mode

Under normal window in accordance with the above said steps, the results show 1150.MB system RAM

Setting screen is at # 33~34 and hardware / system specifications

In the end is how can the problem? Please help :(:no:

Edited by tenz9596

SYSTEM.CB is another text mode configuration file that exists in C:\WINDOWS. Look up for it, I bet you have one. It is used, instead of SYSTEM.INI, when you boot to SAFE MODE, but otherewise it's not used. You have to fix it, or you'll be unable to go to SAFE MODE, if you ever need it. This is the Usher method of using more than 512 MiB of RAM. SYSTEM.CB may contain all the sections that may exist in SYSTEM.INI, althoug some of them will have different settings, and most don't exist. You'll probably need to create both [386Enh] and [vcache] sections in it, because usually the default SYSTEM.CB doesn't have them. Once you've done that, MaxPhysPage=40000 goes under [386Enh] and MaxFileCache=131072 goes under [vcache]. Your SYSTEM.INI, however, should already have at least [386Enh], so you may just have to create [vcache], in case there isn't such a section in it. You may put the new statements just below these headers, or below the last of the statements that may already exist in those sections. Provided they are in the correct sections, those statements should work OK.

I've been thinking and rainyd has a point in what he said. So I'm revising my original suggestion MaxFileCache=393216 (that means 384 MiB) to MaxFileCache=131072 (that means 128 MiB), as RLoew suggested elsewhere, because it should be enough. For the record, rainyd's suggestion of MaxFileCache=262144 (that means 256 MiB) should work OK, too, but 128 MiB uses even less RAM for the cache, leaving it available for general use.

Now, if I were you I'd set the new values in SYSTEM.INI and SYSTEM.CB, save and then reboot. The machine should reboot normally, despite these settings, with you present 512 MiB of RAM. Once you're back to windows check those files to ensure the new settings are really there, so as to rest assured all went well. Then shut the machin down, *disconnect the power source cable*, wait for about 1 min, then open the machine and add the new RAM sticks, making sure they are well seated. Then restart the machine, make sure the BIOS recognizes the memory and, if so, let it boot to windows. It should just work.

You may keep the CHUNKSIZE=1024 as it is in SYSTEM.INI, but there really is no need to add such a line to SYSTEM.CB, too.

I can not find the file you said that SYSTEM.CB, may I ask where?

Unusual memory issue - SOLVED - Rate Topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/142936-unusual-memory-issue-solved/page__st__20__gopid__985345

Currently I have followed these settings, or ineffective ....

Information set from the RAM 2G

Day-to-day running Win 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/118097-day-to-day-running-win-9xme-with-more-than-1-gib-ram/page__st__1

Did you create SYSTEM.CB or not?
Which? Do not know?
We SEEN #34~#35 - INCOMPLETE CHANGES!

Instructions at #35~#37. DO ALL OR WON'T WORK!!!! FORGET USE PATCH - USE HEX EDITOR INSTEAD! Inside IO.SYS REPLACE string "HIMEM.SYS" with "HIMEM.EXE" (NOT INSERT, BUT TYPE OVER TOP).

These are MY changes (WORKS! I have 1.5G)

Step#1

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI

[386Enh]
MaxPhysPage=40000

Step#2

Download and Install Xeno86 VCache.VxD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\VCache.VxD <--here after install

Step#3

Click Link and find - "HimemX v3.32"

Download file and UNZIP with free 7-zip (FIRST ONE)

Copy HIMEMX.EXE to "C:\WINDOWS" folder and rename

C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.EXE <--HIMEMX.EXE RENAME TO THIS

Step#4

Click Link and download Fix for Win98SE Language

Install Fix (FIX is IO.SYS file YOU NEED)

Step#5

Download xRayeR Fix to C:\

Reboot using "F8" Keyboard Key

Select "Safe Mode COMMAND PROMPT ONLY" <-- NOT JUST SAFE MODE

Enter command -

C:\W98IOPAT.EXE

-OR-

Use Hex Editor while Normal Boot to change INSTEAD. In English Fix (from Step#5) using a Hex Editor I find "HIMEM.SYS" at Hex Offset A4F4.

Here is Trial Hex Workshop. Find and Download "Hex Workshop v5.14" (last one that works with Windows 98SE).

Any Hex Editor that works on Win98SE is OK.

Step#6

CONFIG.SYS

REM - added the following for GT 1gib mem
device=c:\windows\himem.exe /max=1048576 /numhandles=64 /verbose
REM - removed the following for GT 1gib mem
REM device=himem.sys

Step#7 (NEW STEP)

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.CB

[386Enh]
MaxPhysPage=40000

"MaxPhysPage=48000" is MAXIMUM GOOD VALUE! I use smaller.

DO THIS OR NOT WORKING!!!

Thanks for xrayer :thumbup I also multiboot Win98 and WinXP with 2GB RAM successful while use HimemX.exe :thumbup

Here's my win98's modify steps

1. Download HimemX from http://japheth.de/Jemm.html

2. Copy himemx.exe to win98 directory

3. Add the line in config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WIN98\HIMEMX.EXE

4. Here's my lines of system.ini:

[386Enh]

MaxPhysPage=48000

MinSPs=16

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

DMABufferSize=64

[vcache]

MaxFileCache=65535

ChunkSize=1024

After these step, I boot win98 with 2G RAM successful

In winXP, the sysem can detect 2GB RAM

And in win98, the system can detect 1150MB RAM

In addition to the boot, I discover that this what is the solution? Grub4dos

ERROR: an extended memory manager is already installed.

xms driver not installed.