Bart PE recognizes HDD when booted from CD, but not from HD

hombero

Hello everyone!

I've created a working Bart PE CD that boots fine as a CD. Recently I was asked to attempt to install Bart PE on an HDD partition that would be bootable from the boot menu.

I've managed to sucessfully do this using grub4dos, firadisk.gz, and a copy of the Bart PE ISO.

The problem is, when I boot into the Bart PE partition from the HDD, none of my hard drive partitions are visible, just the Bart ramdisk and the virtually mounted cd drive.. All drive partitions are visible when booting off the CD though.

Does anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks so much for any help you can provide

My BartPE boot entry in grub4dos' menu.lst reads:

title Bart PE
find --set-root /pebuilder.iso
map --mem /FiraDisk.gz (fd0)
map --mem /pebuilder.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff) /i386/SETUPLDR.BIN

Thank you for the response,

I tried running Diskpart rescan and list disk, unfortunately it says that there are no fixed disks on the system.. I also managed to get Bart PE running by using the peinst script and then building the boot.ini and peboot.bin, peldr files in C: and copying them over to the partition I made for Bart PE.. But now I'm stuck again, Norton Ghost cannot lock the partition when I try to restore a partition image from a partition to another partition on the same disk.

I'm really at a loss, and am starting to think it just can't be done!

I'm really at a loss, and am starting to think it just can't be done!

This is the only thing that I can reassure you, it can be done allright and it is done daily by hundreds or maybe thousands of peeps all around the world. :)

I tried running Diskpart rescan and list disk, unfortunately it says that there are no fixed disks on the system..

Well, then you miss a driver.

What makes no sense is that the SAME build loads the driver from CD but not from the SAME .iso once on hard disk.

Which should mean that somehow you have something "wrong" in the grub4dos or syslinux settings you use to load the .iso :unsure: (or maybe it is a particularity of your BIOS somehow hiding the internal disk when booted from CD? I doubt this.)

I also managed to get Bart PE running by using the peinst script and then building the boot.ini and peboot.bin, peldr files in C: and copying them over to the partition I made for Bart PE.. But now I'm stuck again, Norton Ghost cannot lock the partition when I try to restore a partition image from a partition to another partition on the same disk.

Norton Ghost means "nothing". There are several versions of it.

If one of these - the one you are using - uses VSS to lock the drive, and you don't have VSS working in the PE it won't work.

Why using Ghost at all?

If you have to copy/restore a partition on the same drive you can use another program, like clonedisk or driveimageXML that can also use a "plainer" partition lock.

Right now it seems to me like you are throwing at it everything that crosses your mind (which is good :thumbup ) but you are failing to describe EXACTLY the situation in a CLEAR, PRECISE manner. 8I mean of what you are currently trying, which is not what you had in OP)

Compare with the standard litany:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

If you provide ALL the details, maybe someone can give you a hint to the right direction to take, otherwise it would be like shooting in the dark. :ph34r:

Otherwise, go the other way round, try using this:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24100

which is a tested and reproducible way to build a firadisk running BartPE.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

WinPE 1.5 (presuming this is the Bart you are using) will detect its boot drive as X. if that happens to be the HDD, then it won't see it. Similar things happen if you boot off CD, then eject the CD, you can't run any commands because the disc isn't present. I was so used to having WinPE 2+ Ramdrive. Not sure if its related.

WinPE 1.5 (presuming this is the Bart you are using) will detect its boot drive as X. if that happens to be the HDD, then it won't see it. Similar things happen if you boot off CD, then eject the CD, you can't run any commands because the disc isn't present. I was so used to having WinPE 2+ Ramdrive. Not sure if its related.

A BartPE is NOT WinPE.

It is not WinPE 1.2.

It is not WinPE 1.5.

It is not WinPE 1.6.

It is a BartPE or -generically - just like the above WinPE versions - a PE 1.x, i.e. based on XP or Server2003 soirce.

If the problem is about a partition/volume in the internal hard disk *somehow* having the X:\ drive letter, check contents of key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

For the record:

http://reboot.pro/15199/

SPECIFIC to PE 2.x/3.x ONLY (and NOT to PE 1.x):

SPECIFIC to PE 1.x:

http://reboot.pro/1938/

jaclaz