Grub4DOS booting from dvd?

tusk

been playing with Grub4DOS (bloody great little thing!)

here's where i think i'm being difficult or maybe just not understanding whats already explained (too much caffeine, not enough sleep!)

I have built up a multiboot USB (16gb), that has XP Home/Pro/MCE, all vista & 7 (32 & 64bit), Bit defender, UBCD, MEMtest, Ophcrack & some other bootable recovery tools. This all works 100%, but I want to build it up on a dual layer DVD, mostly as we get some awkward systems that don't boot from USB or LAN, but have DVD-DL drives (or the ability to add one). Also it means i can carry 1 dvd, instead of about 15 cd's/dvd's!

With the optimize option in oscdimg.exe, i get from an 8.4GB drive to a 7.4GB ISO (perfect for DL), but it wont boot. Everything I tried it on gives the following error:

Try (hdd0,0): NTFS5: No grldr

Try (hdd0,1): NTFS5: No grldr

Try (hdd0,2): NTFS5: No grldr

Try (hdd0,3): NTFS5: Invalid or null

BIOS: Drive=0x0, H=1, S=1

Try (fd0): invalid or null

Cannot find grldr

Press space bar to hold the screen, any other key to boot previous mbr....

The oscdimg command i used is

oscdimg.exe -d -u1 -o -bd:\super_aio\boot\syslinux\grldr.mbr

What am I doing wrong? Am i asking the impossible or just being plain stupid - be honest, only way i learn!

If its not possible, anyone got a suggestion of getting non-usb or PXE booting computers to work via a cd option? not something i've looked at, so any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance!

OK, after some much needed sleep & a good walk to work in the lovely English weather (its raining, cold & windy) I have decided I have been somewhat retarded.

The grldr.mbr is looking for grldr on a hdd or fdd, not a optical drive! Think i need to modify that file! lol

I'll post any findings or more questions on here as i get there!

OK, after some much needed sleep & a good walk to work in the lovely English weather (its raining, cold & windy) I have decided I have been somewhat retarded.

The grldr.mbr is looking for grldr on a hdd or fdd, not a optical drive! Think i need to modify that file! lol

Not really.

WHICH EXACT version of grub4dos are you using? (depending on the version you might need to check CaSe of the grldr - or GRLDR file)

WHY are you using grldr.mbr? :w00t: (the file to be used as no-emulation bootsector is grldr and NOT grld.mbr).

jaclaz

Not really.

WHICH EXACT version of grub4dos are you using? (depending on the version you might need to check CaSe of the grldr - or GRLDR file)

WHY are you using grldr.mbr? :w00t: (the file to be used as no-emulation bootsector is grldr and NOT grld.mbr).

jaclaz

That's probably where I'm going wrong then!

It's Grub4DOS 0.4.4.

I've checked the case & used the -d switch to force lower case, but will triple it check it (it's been a long few days!)

I'm out of DVD-DL at the moment, so cant test it here at work :( have to wait until i get home to test it again!

Thanks for the help jaclaz :) its appreciated!

The grldr.mbr is looking for grldr on a hdd or fdd, not a optical drive!

Yes, use grldr as boot file: -bd:\super_aio\boot\syslinux\grldr

Test this at available BIOS. You may use a CD-RW for basic testing.

It's Grub4DOS 0.4.4.

Use a current version instead http://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/downloads/list

Grub4dos is case sensitive at case sensitive file system.

Use something like

chainloader /bootmgr || chainloader /BOOTMGR

I've checked the case & used the -d switch to force lower case

Select file systems and extensions for your collection. That's difficult decission.

I'm out of DVD-DL at the moment

There are virtual machines for testing.

Just for the record "0.4.4" makes NO sense. :w00t:

The 0.4.4 (as well as current 0.4.5 "series") is identified by an ADDITIONAL date.

Latest of the 0.4.4 series (recommended) is this one:

Better :thumbup if you use a later version (of the 0.4.5 series, from the site cdob gave you)

jaclaz

Cheers guys! Didn't get a chance last night to try it, ended up chilling with the misses!!

There are virtual machines for testing.

Don't use a virtual machine on my laptop, its WAY too slow, installed a mini-xp tester & it took 20mins to get to a boot screen :( Really need a new laptop! :P

I have some time today at work, along with a few discs, so will hopefully give it a shot! :)

Ok decided to give up!

Just going to a bootable USB with a kickdisk. :}

After optimization, i can get it to a 10GB iso (ish), so not going on a DVD.

On the plus side have learnt some more stuff about Grub (so not a huge loss!)

B)

Giving up is NEVER an option! :realmad:

:lol: well, trying to squeeze it down further is the killing point of the project!

But, USB + kickdisk = kick a** on old BIOS's :P

I managed to get it down from 14GB to 10GB, but no way a DVD-DL will handle it. Not to mention that the Vista & 7 bootmgr's being difficult.

I have decided though to follow both of these ideas to create a nice multiboot USB with not only Windows XP/Vista & 7 installers, but also some linux based utils too! Got a few days off next week to play with both these ideas, so will see what happens!

The links i've been thinking of are the following -

02 - How to create a USB drive that will install one of many choices of Windows OS's (Vista/Win7/Server 2008/XP)

&

Create a Multiboot Multipartition USB with Syslinux and Grub4Dos

Suppose best do some "work" now as I'm actually at work & being paid - although nothing to do & no boss present! ;)

Edited by tusk