Lost my CTRL-ALT-DELETE function

gnolivos

Ok, don't kill me guys... i searched but found nothing...

I have made a custom nLite install for XP SP3. I did edit a number of things, and now when I install the OS, and hit CTRL-ALT-DEL it does nothing. I can still get to task manager by right clicking on task bar, but still need the keyboard functionality (long story...)

What could I have misconfigured that removed this feature? I saw strl-alt-del for logon screen, but that seems something else (I removed that feature btw).

Pointers?

See there to know how to disable/enable ctrl-alt-del (use search in this big page).

It also have a link to a vbs to toggle ctrl-alt-del functionnality on/off:

Option Explicit

Dim WSHShell, RegKey, ScreenSaver, Result

Set WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

RegKey = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\"

ScreenSaver = WSHShell.RegRead (regkey & "DisableCAD")

If ScreenSaver = 0 Then 'Ctrl/Alt/Delete is Enabled.

Result = MsgBox("Ctrl/Alt/Delete is currently active." & _
vbNewLine & "Would you like to disable it?", 36)

If Result = 6 Then 'clicked yes
WSHShell.RegWrite regkey & "DisableCAD", 1
End If

Else 'Ctrl/Alt/Delete is Disabled

Result = MsgBox("Ctrl/Alt/Delete is currently disabled." & _
vbNewLine & "Would you like to enable it?", 36)

If Result = 6 Then 'clicked yes
WSHShell.RegWrite regkey & "DisableCAD", 0
End If

End If

So just looking in the registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\" and check if a value named DisableCAD exist and is set to 1 should be enough and of course to enable Ctrl-alt-del again, set it to 0 and reboot.

Edit reason: I just saw that this key is more related to ctrl-alt-del before login so it might not work.

Edited by allen2

OK I figured it out... the problem is caused by MINLOGON.... I had integrated the minlogon hotfix into my install, and this reportedly disables Ctrl-Alt-Delete to access the task manager.

You answered you own question with that link.

"Minlogon can be beneficial for devices on which user access to the underlying file system is limited"

I am using this for a MAME cabinet...

Not really sure why you would want MinLogon...

This tells why (that at least I wouldn't want it).

OK I figured it out... the problem is caused by MINLOGON.... I had integrated the minlogon hotfix into my install, and this reportedly disables Ctrl-Alt-Delete to access the task manager.

BUT you can re-enable it ;) with a little proggie:

http://www.mp3car.com/winnt-based/38179-fix-ctrl-alt-del-with-minlogon.html

@submix8c

and this tells you why you may want it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms838653(v=winembedded.5).aspx

Security

It is important to understand that MinLogon will never prompt a user for login credentials such as a user name or password. In addition, MinLogon does not include support for an Administrator account and has no concept of user accounts or privileges to the local machine's file system or resources. MinLogon also does not have a concept of global users or accounts and cannot be joined to a domain. Embedded designs that require domain participation support should use WinLogon.

With MinLogon, users have unlimited power over the system, much like the Administrator account has in typical Windows XP Professional installations. Users will be able to delete or modify the files, settings, and services of the system as they want. However, this does not mean that MinLogon completely lacks security mechanisms; rather, it means that security features that were inherited and enabled by default under a WinLogon configuration must be incorporated into a MinLogon design if security is desired. Developers using MinLogon in their embedded designs must be conscious of this fact, and proactively take measures to block access to exposed areas of the operating system.

Conversely, a locked down MinLogon system could be considered more secure than a locked-down WinLogon system because there is no "back door" such as an Administrator or Guest account to hack into. But beware that once all the doors are locked, there is no back door for even the creator of the runtime image to enter.

Another interesting question would be about a non-Commercial user (allowed to use nlite) using a Commercial (and highly priced) XP Embedded. :unsure:

:whistle:

I know very few people that have bought an XP Embedded license for non-Commercial use. (actually noone, I must definitely enlarge the circle of my acquaintenances ;))

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

(Sub)Link given was to point out "why?" (a/l for me) for an nLite-ed. Aware of the "difference" and the MAME reference...

Guess the OP must have some oddball reason for wanting to include it... A minimal "tools" partition maybe? (I just use LiveXP.)

• 5 months later...