Oh My God, I disabled Javascript, and now there's hope!

ScrewUpgrading

Holy freaking crap...

i was just about to throw my computer out the window and kill it, I tried using Opera 11 with Kernel Ex, I tried K-Meleon, I tried Seamonkey, all of which are SLOWER THAN HELL!!!

Then I installed Netscape Navigator 9.6, disabled Javascript, and BOOM!

It's ten times quicker. It's unbelievable.

I went to fanfiction.net, and it loaded like instantaneously (just a freaking text site.) It used to get bogged down with the ads that displayed on the top and to the right. Even this forum loaded faster than it has in, well, forever!!!!!!

Can somebody explain to me why the hell this makes such a huge difference? I'm on dial-up, and this is freaking awesome. I'm never enabling javascript ever again.

What am I missing out on because I disabled it? So far, I don't noticed anything not working. It said my "flashblock" doesn't work because javascript is disabled, but that's the only thing I noticed while looking around the options menu.

With all due respect :), I don't think that you are making a "fair" comparison.

Get an earlier Opera (last one that works without KernelEx should be 10.10 or 10.63 :unsure:)

Try disabling javascript in it. ;)

Do the comparison again.

jaclaz

I using Opera right now with no javascript, it's pretty sweet actually.

For some reason, my computer seems to really get along with Netscape. It plows through every web page that I throw at it. No delays at all. I'm going to use mostly Netscape and Opera from now on though, since they work the fastest.

I might be able to get another 5 years out of this computer now!!! (Which would make it 16 years old and still using all the original parts)

I can't believe how slow the internet had gotten in the last 2 years on dialup. Now I can read all my blogs, fan fiction, cnn & fox news, and other stuff without it taking 3 minutes every single new page.

Javascript = the spawn of evil.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

Indeed.

Any browser on any OS (not only w9x) will be about a gagizillion times faster with javascript (js) disabled.

Some websites won't display without js (eg. Facebook). With IE/Maxthon you can still limit the damage with the tweak CharlesF talked about above.

K-Meleon/Firefox it can be tweaked in their own advanced settings.

95% of the internet will display normaly without js.

Also a good safety measure is to disable ActiveX whenever you have js enabled. Unfortunately you still need js and ActiveX to play streamlined videos (YouTube).

Thanks everybody.

I'm now using my favorite browser again, SeaMonkey 1.1.19, with an extension called "No Script" that blocks all flash and javascript. Moreover, it allows you to whitelist, or pick and choose, whatever website you want to allow javascript for. For dial-up users I'd say it's practically mandatory, since it increases the speed of surfing the web by like 10x.

The last version to work on Windows 98/Me is NoScript 1.10 which is available for download at their website.

http://noscript.net/getit

I also have K-Meleon 1.5.4 and Opera 10.63 with javascript disabled.

Thanks everybody.

I'm now using my favorite browser again, SeaMonkey 1.1.19, with an extension called "No Script" that blocks all flash and javascript. Moreover, it allows you to whitelist, or pick and choose, whatever website you want to allow javascript for. For dial-up users I'd say it's practically mandatory, since it increases the speed of surfing the web by like 10x.

The last version to work on Windows 98/Me is NoScript 1.10 which is available for download at their website.

http://noscript.net/getit

I also have K-Meleon 1.5.4 and Opera 10.63 with javascript disabled.

Yup, I also mentioned a week ago about turning off JS, in your other thread at:

And again, as I said there, there may be times a website will need JS inorder to function something at a particular place so just have JS handy for toggling. Yeah, Noscript is great, I've had the one for Firefox for years working fine (although I've switched back to Opera a couple years ago). Glad you got things going again.

With Opera browser, it is very easy to make a button that enable/disable JS on the fly, during the surf.

You can also set the Site preferences, for each one separately, to have javascript running when you need it. :whistle:

EDIT: there is also several Extension to manage it, like NoAds or NotScripts.

Edited by CharlesF

Just one last bit of information.

Firefox 3.6.22 (released on September 6, 2011) works great using the most recent version of "No Script," and of course Kernel Ex. I'm using them right now.

Go here to download it:

http://noscript.net/

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

I think for dial up this is the best setup you can get: KernelEx + Firefox 3.6.22 + NoScript + Flashblock 1.5.14

(On the few pages that I do allow javascript, I still have flashblock enabled just in case, if you're wondering why I had both)