Mounting .VHD / .VDI file using Grub4dos.

infotronix

Hello to all first.

I have fully function valid virtual box/pc hard disk, but when i am going to mount this i found errors that partitions are not valid some one please help me.

and if you know anything about it please share with me it will be grate full thanks.

i use this command to mount in menu.lst.

title Boot XP from image file

map /debjit.vhd (hd0)

map --rd-size=2048

map --mem (rd)+4 (0x55)

map --hook

write (0x55) #GRUB4DOS\x00v=1\x00xp.vhd\x00\x80\x00

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /ntldr

another

title Boot XP from image file

map /deb.vhd (hd0)

map --hook

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /ntldr

boot

Please reply soon.

plese help my thanks

Hello to all first.

I have fully function valid virtual box/pc hard disk, but when i am going to mount this i found errors that partitions are not valid some one please help me.

and if you know anything about it please share with me it will be grate full thanks.

i use this command to mount in menu.lst.

The FIRST "rule" when experimenting in grub4dos is to NEVER use a pre-made menu.lst and ALWAYS use command line instead.

Your first menu.lst entry example does not make any sense to me, it must have been taken by some source (that surely has a reason for that manipulation) you you don't specify.

Your second one is plain enough.

.vdi is a format used by Virtualbox and has nothing to do with Virtual PC that uses .vhd.

A .vhd file can be of TWO main types:

1. "static"
  2. "dynamic"

A .vhd "static" file is nothing but a RAW (or dd-like) image of a hard disk with a single sector APPENDED to it, this kind of file is as big as the virtual hard disk it represents.

A .vhd "dynamic" file is smaller than the virtual hard disk it represents, as it only maps the parts that are actually used.

Static .vhd's are supported by grub4dos NOT because they are supported, but because they are functionally identical to RAW images (that are supported) for anything that grub4dos needs out of them.

Dynamic .vhd's are NOT supported.

Now, IF your images are "static" boot to grub4dos, press "c" to get to command line and try issuing these commands:

map /deb.vhd (hd0)

[ENTER]

map --hook

[ENTER]

root (hd0,0)

[ENTER]

chainloader /ntldr

[ENTER]

boot

[ENTER]

After each command grub4dos may (or may not) provide some feedback.

Post the EXACT feedback you get after each command.

For the record, this is seemingly NOT connected to "Install Windows from USB", as a general rule, when you are looking for support for the tools posted here, you caom here, when you need support for (say) grub4dos, you go to the grub4dos (unofficial) support forum:

http://reboot.pro/forum/66/

jaclaz

Well mainly i am trying to run a separate xp from usb drive.

well it is giving this error:--

map /deb.vhd (hd0)

Autodetect number-of-heads failed. Use Default Value 255

Autodetect number-of-track failed. Use Default Value 63

root (hd0,0)

Error 5 : Partition Table Invali or courrept.

Please help me by solving this.

Please help me by solving this.

I simply cannot.

The .vhd image you are using is INVALID.

Cannot say whether this is because it is of the "dynamic" type or simply because it is corrupted.

Clearly there is no valid partition table (and I suspect not a MBR at all) as first sector in the image.

Try converting it to "static":

http://vmtoolkit.com/files/folders/converters/entry87.aspx

and try again.

jaclaz

Thanks its booting now but problem is its showinging to blue screen after booting.

A good start point would be that you disable the automatic reboot when crashing (F8 at XP boot) and post the stop error code.

A good start point would be that you disable the automatic reboot when crashing (F8 at XP boot) and post the stop error code.

My crystal ball tells me that it is a 0x0000007b. ;)

@infotronix

This is EXPECTED as any NT based system needs a boot time drive to hook the .vhd mapped (temporarily and in real mode only) by grub4dos.

There are both Freeware and Commercial such drivers, again you need to read and study before, here it is a good place to start:

http://reboot.pro/forum/94/

jaclaz